1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3.2 SD Card question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zardoz, Jul 14, 2011.

1. zardoz

zardoz Member

For those who've received the upgrade to 3.2-

What kind of sd card does the Xoom take? I haven't kept up with all the different types of cards available. I assume it's a microsd, and I'm seeing a lot of 32gb "class 4" microsds on Amazon and the like for right around $60- does that sound about right?

And, when you put your card in, do the various applications automagically discover the card? That is, if I move all my music to the new card, will the Music application discover them?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. commander24

commander24 Member

I used a number of different "class" cards in the past, but I find that sandisk makes the best preforming card IMHO.

Many times their class 4 cards seem to out preform the class 10 ones from other manufacturers.

I bought this a couple of months in anticipation of the SD card release for my xoom: Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package): Electronics
    I know it says class 2 in the pics, but they ended up sending me a class 4. Maybe luck or maybe they just got an old pic on the site.

3. commander24

commander24 Member

It looks like the SD card is in readonly mode, and the mounting is set to "/mnt/external1" rather than "/mnt/sdcard". Some apps may not see the SD card if they dont give you an option to change the reference.

marctronixx likes this.
  4. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler Well-Known Member

Hi, just got a Xoom myself and updated to 3.2 as soon as I'd turned it on and connected to web. I noticed the above too. In the /mnt folder there seems to be a "fake" /sdcard folder (?), which I'm guessing is actually on the internal storage and that "external1" is the actual sd card itself. So, if you have anything set to save to the external storage, it saves to the "fake" folder. Has anyone found a way round it? I tried copying the "sdcard" contents to "external1" and renaming the "fake" sdcard to allow me to change "external1" to "sdcard", but it won't let me do this.

5. marctronixx

external is your physical SD card. its cannot be changed or "renamed" unless you root the device.

6. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Well-Known Member

I'm kinda curious about this too. If you look at a file manager /sdcard is actually the internal storage. The SD card is named /external1 which makes some apps unable to see it.

7. marctronixx

yes this is correct. the devs will need to make the updated permissions to their apps in order to take advantage of the external card.

zardoz and PSXBatou like this.
  8. zardoz

zardoz Member

I think it's moot, I was all set to get a card and dump 32gb of music on it- but I'm on the 3g model and apparently no updates for me, yet.

9. TulsaTime

TulsaTime Member

I'm also curious if anyone has found a way to take stuff off there? I hooked it up to the computer to delete & move files around but can't seem to do it on the xoom itself.

10. marctronixx

any file explorer app should be able to do that. I use file manager HD (designed for tablets) and am able to copy and move files from the card just fine. also i can see the card on the desktop computer when in MTP mode...

11. paola1982

paola1982 Lurker

Hi has anyone been able to move applications to the SD card?

12. marctronixx

if you are stock 3.2, then no not yet. devs in the coming weeks should/will update their applications to address the /external1 location. until then however, no.

if one roots, then they of course has had access to this many moons ago.. :)

13. brawndo

brawndo Newbie

So I bought my xoom yesterday at staples since they had the 100 dollars off, and on my way home hit up fry's to get a 32gb micro sd card. I just applied my invisible shield so I won't turn my xoom on for another 10 hours, so I can't test to see if the SD card works...but from what I read over the past hour is that the xoom doesn't even detect the external sd card, rendering it completely useless? Why would motorola do this lol? My moto atrix reads the external sd card just fine...is it honeycomb that has issues with it? Any answers/links would be much appreciated.

14. mched

mched Well-Known Member

You can use the SD card on the Wifi Xoom as long as it's been updtaed to the latest Honeycomb version, which is 3.2.
    It's guys like me that have the Verizon 3G that still can't use it unless you are rooted.

15. techrider62

techrider62 Android Enthusiast

I guess you needed to read more.Once you install the 3.2 update micro sd will work.

16. davehries

davehries Newbie

In my case, if I install the SD card and then boot the device then I can read the card but, I can not write to it. I am on 3.2.

17. techrider62

Right.

marctronixx likes this.
  18. davehries

davehries Newbie

I believe that is what I said. I can read. I can not write.

19. marctronixx

brawndo and others, please familiar yourselves with this thread. 3.2 opened up SD card r/w however current apps need to be updated to take advantage of the write access of the /external1 slot (SD card).

20. techrider62

You wonder why are beloved android OS gets such a bad rep.They need to set a guide line and stick to it.

21. phxcvg

phxcvg Lurker

I guess I am really dumb, but, I have a wifi only xoom, I take the plastic cover off and look at the slot available. It receiver area seems to be much larger than the micro sd card and I can not seem to find diagrams on how to physically instal the card. I don't want to drop it in. So can anyone please guide me to diagrams or advise on the physical installation.

Thanks in advance.

22. techrider62

It goes in the side of the slot closest to the screen

23. tjreishus

tjreishus Android Enthusiast

Just installed 3.2 and installed a 32 gig card. Now when I download documents, do they automatically download to the card. How about pictures and videos? Before 3.2 there was a folder called SD card but there wasn't an SD card. Is that folder now actually the SD card?