• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3.5 mm audio jack broken for the second time

asghert

Feb 5, 2011
I'm on my 4th Razr Maxx and getting ready to get my 5th. Tech Support sent me an LG Spectrum and what a piece of garbage compared to the Maxx. I sent it back immediately.

The reason I'm posting is to see if anyone else is having the same issue. When I try to insert an audio jack there is now a piece of metal obstructing it. It only goes about 3/4 way down. I actually measured the distance down to the piece of metal compared to an audio jack so it's definitely not lint. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Other returns were other issues.

I'm using the same audio cables I did when I had my DroidX.

I really love this phone. I've been with Verizon a really long time and never had so many issues with one model. Hoping I'm just an exception.

Anyone else with the same audio jack problems?

droid razr here. been using it since December. typically I'll plug in an aux cable to run audio to my car stereo. average 3-4x per week on my way home from work. never had any problems.

if you're having the same problem across multiple replacements and you're using the same cable, then it's time to get a different cable. and don't say "it's not the cable". if that's the case, the only other thing it could be is you (and I'd be hard pressed to prove someone isn't bright enough to put something straight in and pull it straight out) or something that's happening while the cable's plugged in (like getting dropped, or there's a lot of tension on the cable).

Upvote 0
Recently I have been experiencing problems with my 3.5 mm jack when using it in the aux port in my truck. Sometimes the audio will completely cut out. And when I move the cable, I get a bunch of static, then it sometimes comes back. I haven't tested it using any different devices or cables since the problem began, mostly because it isn't happening enough yet for me to take the time to troubleshoot it.

Upvote 0
Recently I have been experiencing problems with my 3.5 mm jack when using it in the aux port in my truck. Sometimes the audio will completely cut out. And when I move the cable, I get a bunch of static, then it sometimes comes back. I haven't tested it using any different devices or cables since the problem began, mostly because it isn't happening enough yet for me to take the time to troubleshoot it.
Try cleaning the audio receptacle. Dust can collect in there and cause the symptoms you describe, especially if you carry it in your pocket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones