• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3.5mm IR Blaster

Hey has anyone tried an 3.5mm headphone jack ir blaster? I heard they work as long as the device puts out enough power but I'm not sure if it does or not.
I had briefly researched this before...
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not without root, a custom kernel, and/or a good software programmer. Any IR blaster app will look to the kernel for a driver. We don't have an IR blaster so there is no driver in our kernel for one. You would need a custom kernel and driver and then software written for it.

More on the answer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47538767&postcount=13

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can tell from experience. I have not tested it on zmaxpro coz I don't want to fry the headphone jack just in case.

I did try it on samsung on5 and LG optimus elite. So far I honestly don't know if the thing itself is broken coz I don't see any light. It is also not detected by anymote which is the reason why I bought this.

The zaza (?)app detects it but it does nothing. So if anyone has better idea. I am all ears.

I bought this for $1 and I waited 2 months for it to be shipped from China. LOL.

Long wait for nothing. I want to use it with alexa but oh well. So far, NO good.

Reactions: RootBeerGuy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones