1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root 3 button boot mode

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bear_grylls, Feb 16, 2011.

1. bear_grylls

bear_grylls Lurker

Hey guys,

Pretty new to this all but I've been checking out my Galaxy S and I'm 99% sure that it CAN'T be booted into download or recovery mode via the standard 3 button reset. I've been trawling some threads and people have been saying that certain handsets are just built this way :thinking:.

Called up Samsung tech and they pretty much confirmed this... which is pretty ridiculous design flaw cos I want to root my phone since it's playing up and lagging a bit.

My question is: is there another way I can access download mode if I can't do it the standard way? Alternatively, can I still apply a lag fix or root my phone even if I can't access this mode? Can someone help me with an easy step by step method?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. TechGrin

TechGrin Newbie

My handset was the same, I used the ADK method shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_w_1TNixQ4 to root for applying a lagfix.

I wouldn't use it for anything more than that because it can only be accessesd when the phone is on, and therefore is useless if you brick the phone while flashing a rom etc.

Interestingly my handset actually bricked during an official Kies update, and had to be repaired by samsung, and when it came back 3 button recovery was working!

3. MAKFOTO

MAKFOTO Newbie

Go to this site and you'll learn how to make up a breakout board to get your SGS into download mode.
    [HOWTO] [REF] Get Download Mode without 3-button combo using homemade JIG - xda-developers

If you don't feel confident enough to do the soldering then buy one ready made at:
    samsung galaxy s download jig on eBay (end time 17-Mar-11 13:14:11 GMT)

I used the latter and it worked like a charm.

Enjoy your SGS.