• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3 character search terms

I had changed this to three. It is now back at four, so I can only assume Rob changed it during his effort to reduce load. I will need to run changing it back past him. I don't always for all things that I am more convinced is less of a big deal - but this one might actually be.

So... Let me speak with him..

Thanks, I appreciate this is more than a minor change.

Its disregarded even when used in conjunction with other words so "mac transfer" becomes "transfer". Even if there was a wsy to put it in quotation marks...

Upvote 0
Are you sure about that? Quotation marks seem to work properly for me, even on 1-3 character words.

I'm not sure what you're asking if I am sure about. To be clear, my use of quotation marks in the above post was to signify my search term and is not actually part of the search term.

However, if even if I use quotation marks in the search term like below:

"mac transfer"
becomes "mac*transfer" and returns no matches.

"mac" transfer
returns matches only for "transfer"**

"mac"
returns no matches.

** includes threads that have "mac" in the title so these threads DO exist. Its just lucky it has the word transfer in the title, or it wouldn't be found.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you're asking if I am sure about. To be clear, my use of quotation marks in the above post was to signify my search term and is not actually part of the search term.

Ah, yeah, I did think you were including the quotation marks as part of the search.

However, if even if I use quotation marks in the search term like below:

"mac transfer"
becomes "mac*transfer" and returns no matches.

"mac" transfer
returns matches only for "transfer"**

"mac"
returns no matches.

** includes threads that have "mac" in the title so these threads DO exist. Its just lucky it has the word transfer in the title, or it wouldn't be found.

I tried it by copy and pasting your search terms and I got different results to you.

"mac transfer"
oEnhB.png

Lots of spammers that slipped through the cracks, as it happens. I'll clean that up later

"mac" transfer
No results

"mac"
No results

Very odd :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones