1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3 days on Galaxy Nexus - Back to Spectrum

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by badrsj, Aug 9, 2012.

1. badrsj

badrsj Well-Known Member

Had a GNex for 3 days, Missed the Spectrum - Came back :)
    Getting your data onto GNex was not swapping a card - but having both phones attached to laptop and then copying files over :(

Device came installed with AOKP Milestone 6 - wonderful ROM. All you can dream of and more :) but that is where the dream ends and the nightmare begins.

I did not know but I work in "low signal" areas - On the Spectrum - sometimes I'd hit 3G but mostly 4G. So the laptop goes nice and fast and with a tail wind I can even catch a movie (not really - who has time for that).

On the GNex - however there was no 4G (and it was not the ROM or the Radio)
    I tried another ROM and another Radio - No 4G, however once out of the area - it caught 4G just fine.

One other thing - when a call came in - it dropped the internet for me, a big no no no. So we booted up the Spectrum - yes I'm running stock V6 it does all what is needed. Bye Bye GNex - currently sitting on Ebay.

IMUcarmen likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hollywoods14

hollywoods14 Android Expert

welcome back to the club!!!

3. MrB206

MrB206 Android Expert

Did you try stock for the gnex? I compared it to the spectrum before I bought the spectrum and was NOT impressed with the gnex performance. But, it should perform better than what you described.

4. stef7

stef7 Android Expert

One of the reasons I didn't go with the GNEX and chose the Spectrum was because of reports I had read about radio problems with the GNEX... and because we were told the Spectrum was going to get ICS, why not go with something less troublesome from the start?

Maybe the Spectrum is simply a better collection of Hardware.:fight:

I am curious as to why the OP didn't stay with the Stock ROM. Hmmmm.:tomato:

5. badrsj

badrsj Well-Known Member

I didn't go stock, it came with the AOKP installed. I updated the radio, still no 4G at work, switched to jelly bean, still no luck. FWIW switching ROM does not change radios. Really the signal sucks on that device.

6. MrB206

MrB206 Android Expert

Yea, that's what I read about it... You can tell too when you put it side by side against the spectrum. The reception is shite, but people love it because of the huge dev community. Seems silly to get a phone with tons of roms, but shitty reception.

Along those lines, my wife's razr has better reception than my spectrum. It improved when she got 4.0...It was a bear before the update. Now I get shoddier reception than she.

7. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert

FYI all cdma devices drop data when a call comes, the only time data stays is when connected to 4G or wifi

badrsj likes this.
  8. IMUcarmen

IMUcarmen Android Expert

Actually death, this was true, but not so with the spectrum. My spectrum keeps 3g while i'm in a call. I live in a 3g area and I've observed this since I bought the phone. My droid charge drops 3g during a phone call though.

9. finndo77

finndo77 Android Expert

It is possible the spectrum has better multitasking for its 3g connections? And can alienate packets to keep the data connection alive...

10. IMUcarmen

IMUcarmen Android Expert

I personally don't know how it does it, I just know it's does :p

11. badrsj

badrsj Well-Known Member

Actually it does data and call simultaneously

Attached Files:

IMUcarmen likes this.
  12. badrsj

badrsj Well-Known Member

Screen shot while on phone pulling up swappa :) while driving

13. IMUcarmen

IMUcarmen Android Expert

Yea I knew it did.

I wonder how many phones are able to do this. I guess we've concluded the gnex doesnt. I know my droid charge doesnt. Does the razr keep 3g while in call? How about the s3?

14. Lightswarm

Lightswarm Well-Known Member

The things people do to prove they're right or to prove a point. :p

15. badrsj

badrsj Well-Known Member

Truth fully drive home was a parking lot :)

16. stef7

stef7 Android Expert

One wonders if the screen capture was taken and posted while actially driving. Gee, no Pandora icon in the notification bar? No Google NAV? :smokingsomb:

17. badrsj

badrsj Well-Known Member

Nope no Pandora no google nav :) luckily I don't get lost that much between home and work. other wise i'm very bad with directions.

18. MrB206

MrB206 Android Expert

wow, i had to test it to believe it, but this is me downloading HoloS, while on the phone. And yes, I watched as the download continued on the call.. it didn't pause or hang up:

[​IMG]

... we're not supposed to be able to do that. Every tech blog on the planet has written about how the CDMA EvDo networks can't do voice and data at the same time, whereas GSM/HSPA can. Interesting....

19. stef7

stef7 Android Expert

Wow. We have a superior phone! Wonder if that will get broken in ICS? :D

20. IMUcarmen

IMUcarmen Android Expert

You're on 4G and all 4G phones will do both at the same time

The thing we were referring to is being in call and still having 3g work. This is unique to the Spectrum as far as I know

21. bones420la

bones420la Android Enthusiast

if i can remember right... my fascinate let me be in a call and use 3g at one point... it only worked for a couple days....

and witrh my spec ive seen days where i cant use 3g in a call.... could just be screwups at verizon

22. MrB206

MrB206 Android Expert

lol crap, well if I ever went into 3G, I'd be able to test, but I'm pretty sure my wife's razr doesn't... I'll test it today. That aside, I've seen countless blogs/stories that say it's not possible on CDMA, so it's odd that our radio can.

23. hollywoods14

Def holds data while in call. Check in both network modes also cdma only & lte/cmda. Also tried out going and incoming calls. The only constant was i started the download 1st . I also loaded a couple webpages while the call wa sin progress.
    [​IMG]

24. MrB206

MrB206 Android Expert

So what's so special about the radio on this phone that allows data and phone to operate at the time? I'd be interested to know why it wasn't advertised more. Unless they didn't know it could...

25. hollywoods14

i will say its not very practical though. Trying to do anything while in call is a pita. Trying to keep the phone in the correct position so the screen stays on doesnt happen very easily, although once i pulled down the notifcation bar the screen stayed on.

LG Spectrum Forum

The LG Spectrum release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1830mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews