• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3 mobile data allowance

prav

Jun 1, 2010
yorkshire
Hi! My first thread, second post here... sort of. This is a great forum, been reading it all week, it's been very helpful making decisions.

I originally posted this in someone else's thread as I thought it was on the same topic, but I guess now I look at it more closely it would require quite a derail to answer my questions. I hope it isn't wrong to quote myself like this, I don't want to spam. I've edited it slightly to fit better here:

I should be getting my desire from three today (got a text earlier, it's late arriving), I was considering switching to t-mobile with their nice 3gb allowance on android phones but when i phoned up 3 they gave me a pretty good deal, and the 3 signal where i'm moving to later this year has been better than t-mobile. So far so good.

However, I was under the impression that 3 had a 1GB fair use policy, which seemed it would be enough for me (I'm mainly worried about google navigation, I'm going to be a bit lost for a while after we move, I don't know the new area). I thought I'd better check, and now some sites I've found seem to suggest it has been reduced to 500mb per month since May 1st, though i can't find any official word anywhere.

Does anybody know the full story? It seems a bit of a stupid thing to reduce the browsing limit at the same time as changing all your plans to 'Internet Talker' and 'Internet Texter'. If the limit is 500mb, does anyone know how strict that limit is, ie do they only get annoyed if you go a large amount over the cap, or do you get charged immediately?

Just to add, I did speak to someone in a 3 store about 5 days ago when I was checking out the handset in person, and he assured me that it was 1GB, though I then did the deal over the phone with the upgrades people. Does anyone think they might increase the limit to 1GB (if it is now 500mb) for me if i ring and cite this conversation? I was thinking that I might still have some negotiating leverage during the 7 days distance selling 'cooling off period' to get things changed?

Thanks for any replies, I have tried to look for myself first, both on this search and google :)

Hi
I just upgraded with 3 to a Desire last week. It is true that the allowance is 500Mb, it used to be 1 gig when they originally brought out the Desire but that was for a different price plan. You can buy an Internet add on that will take you to 2.5 gig.

TBH I would wait and try it out first and see how much you average. At the moment I have used up 18 meg, yes thats right 18 meg and I have had my phone since last Friday. If I am at home I just use the WiFi connection and that saves on my data allowance.

There is a nice widget called 3G Watchdog that tells you how much you have used, it was one of the first things I installed on my Desire.

Enjoy your new phone when it arrives, I'm really impressed with mine :D

Upvote 0
Hi
I just upgraded with 3 to a Desire last week. It is true that the allowance is 500Mb, it used to be 1 gig when they originally brought out the Desire but that was for a different price plan. You can buy an Internet add on that will take you to 2.5 gig.

TBH I would wait and try it out first and see how much you average. At the moment I have used up 18 meg, yes thats right 18 meg and I have had my phone since last Friday. If I am at home I just use the WiFi connection and that saves on my data allowance.

There is a nice widget called 3G Watchdog that tells you how much you have used, it was one of the first things I installed on my Desire.

Enjoy your new phone when it arrives, I'm really impressed with mine :D

Thanks for the fast reply and the 500mb confirmation, I was going to try the 'wait and see' approach but that would mean I'd need to open the box (making threatening to return it more difficult) and probably go over the 7 day cooling off thing, which seems like it's my best leverage at the moment to get what i want if it's not enough.

I think I'm going to wait until it arrives (should have been here over 2 hours ago, grr ;)) and then call them quoting the new FUP policy and telling them that i had been quoted a 1 GB 'soft-cap' (ie no automatic charge if you go over) in their store last week. Maybe I can get them to add that 2.5gb bundle for free, cos I know I haven't got the best deal possible, I've since seen people who got more minutes for a lower price on 3.

Thought I'd done quite well at the time :(

Upvote 0
Thanks for the fast reply and the 500mb confirmation, I was going to try the 'wait and see' approach but that would mean I'd need to open the box (making threatening to return it more difficult) and probably go over the 7 day cooling off thing, which seems like it's my best leverage at the moment to get what i want if it's not enough.

I think I'm going to wait until it arrives (should have been here over 2 hours ago, grr ;)) and then call them quoting the new FUP policy and telling them that i had been quoted a 1 GB 'soft-cap' (ie no automatic charge if you go over) in their store last week. Maybe I can get them to add that 2.5gb bundle for free, cos I know I haven't got the best deal possible, I've since seen people who got more minutes for a lower price on 3.

Thought I'd done quite well at the time :(

what tariff are you on ???
I got the Desire for nothing, 300 mix & match, 300 free 3 to 3 minutes, 100 picture messages and the 500 Mb Internet allowance...

Upvote 0
I've had mine 10 days now, I use it to surf the web on my dinner brake for 1 hour. Mainly forums like this one. I also check my email 2-3 times a day and the weather app updates every hour. I'm using about 16mb a day, but I don't use it much on a weekend.

Going off that i will be close but not over the FUP (500mb) so should be OK.

I've installed Opera Mini just in case as this compress the data, so for one hours surfing with this it was at 1.6mb. So if I think I might be going over I can just use Opera for a few days, although the built in browser is much better in my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones