• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3 More HTC Google Phone in 2009

justjimjpc

Premium Member
Nov 3, 2008
Washington DC, USA
Full Story

I see that I am not the only one that will not be buying another Android/HTC unit until the Memory issue is fixed .

" Until a significant amount of more memory is added or the ability to store apps or databases on the microSD card is supported I won’t buy another Android device because I am tired of constant low memory warnings and having to delete apps to make room for more to try out."

By: Matthew Miller is an avid mobile device enthusiast who works during the day as a professional naval architect in Seattle. See his full profile and disclosure of his industry affiliations.

huh... I've never had those problems with my G1.

This really isn't an issue on the HTCs- there aren't any apps in the marketplace anyways! ;)

But seriously, it's a non-issue. All you have to do is gain root access to store the apps on the SD card. Problem solved.

Like the naval architect says, this is for geeks, the do-it-yourselfers.
The person who is content with just using the phone as is shouldn't be getting Android anyway- you get Android to tinker it to just the way you want it.

Upvote 0
This really isn't an issue on the HTCs- there aren't any apps in the marketplace anyways! ;)

But seriously, it's a non-issue. All you have to do is gain root access to store the apps on the SD card. Problem solved.

Like the naval architect says, this is for geeks, the do-it-yourselfers.
The person who is content with just using the phone as is shouldn't be getting Android anyway- you get Android to tinker it to just the way you want it.

Well, rooted works... but a post I read in this forum, says that it is definately a klugey arrangement and not what you would want for a permanent solution ... So even rooted folks still know that there needs to be a google solution ...

Upvote 0
Well, rooted works... but a post I read in this forum, says that it is definately a klugey arrangement and not what you would want for a permanent solution ... So even rooted folks still know that there needs to be a google solution ...

The solution is being worked on- it doesn't take a genius to realize that no memory = no apps sold = no money = no developers = no Android.

At least there is a solution, now it can be refined.

Of course, the cynical side of me fears that the G1 platform (G1, Magic) is purely beta and the future solutions will be implemented in 2nd gen android phones, and that G1 owners will have two choices- hack it or buy another phone. Maybe that's just me being used to Apple, the open-source community wouldn't do that... right?

HTC had to have known about all the "quirks" with Android and the G1 after it was released. The Magic is the G1, how difficult would it be to have redesigned it with more internal memory?

Maybe cupcake will solve this...

Upvote 0
Didn't know that was possible. Are you certain you can store apps on the SD? Please direct me to instructions.

And yes, I have searched. For many months know.

Well yes, rooted works... but a post I read in this forum, says that it is definitely a klugey arrangement and not what you would want for a permanent solution ... So even rooted folks still know that there needs to be a google solution ...

There is a sticky thread on this forum for rooting your G! with a great guide..

http://androidforums.com/developer-...uide-updated-3-10-09-a.html?highlight=rooting

Upvote 0
sorry justjimjpc,
let me clarify. I do not need root. I have a dev1 phone. I am mainly interested in how to store apps to the SD. I don't think that is possible. You can move some stuff like cache to the SD, but not apps.

Please point me in the direction if I am wrong. I would love to free up some space on my phone. The low memory thing is getting old. I don't even have that many apps.

I think most of my space goes to sms and mms messages. I don't like to delete them!

Upvote 0
sorry justjimjpc,
let me clarify. I do not need root. I have a dev1 phone. I am mainly interested in how to store apps to the SD. I don't think that is possible. You can move some stuff like cache to the SD, but not apps.

Please point me in the direction if I am wrong. I would love to free up some space on my phone. The low memory thing is getting old. I don't even have that many apps.

I think most of my space goes to sms and mms messages. I don't like to delete them!

there are like four command line to execute ... the original solution came out before google blocked access to the root ... i was sure they were restated in someone's guide to rooting ...

in addition if you want to backup you messages use an app called "Txtract" you backup everything and then delete the threads from active messaging...

I will try to search and find the old instructions for making the OS look on the sdcard directory for apps rather than in phone's flash memory directory ...

Upvote 0
Here are some links and info for using sdcard to store and run apps on a rooted phone ... This should be more than you found in your searchs

How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!! - xda-developers

Why should you root your Dream/G1?

Well, hopefully one of those reasons convinced you to get root access on your phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones