• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3 Phones

cannon11

Aug 22, 2012
Wisconsin
I'm switching to a prepaid carrier that runs on sprints network. You have the option to bring an off contract sprint phone and use it on their service.
I've been looking on ebay and these are what I've narrowed it down to, unless someone has a good suggestion.

They are all used and in about 8/10 condition
Samsung Nexus S 85$
Motorola Photon 4g 120$
Samsung Galaxy nexus $150

The vanilla android is nice, yet It would be nice to have a dual core phone and be able to shoot hd video, The galaxy nexus Can do all of that, Yet I am unsure If I want that big of a screen on my phone and if I want to spend the extra cash on it. It would be good knowing that It would continue to get updates though.
The photon is kind of in the middle, It has similar specs to the galaxy nexus but it is only on gingerbread.

Any input would be good,
thanks!
:D

I say you rule out the Photon due to the fact that it is on Gingerbread. The jump to JB is huge and there is a lot of functionality you will miss out on.

Additionally, a lot of apps now require 4.0+. Google Keep, Chrome Browser, etc. I think you would prefer virtually all apps be able to install on your new phone, rather than some.

Screen size is personal. Go to the Sprint store and handle the two Nexus devices and see what you think.

Speaking as a Galaxy Nexus owner: sure some people have better hardware than me - but no one has better software.

Upvote 0
Do you have 4g in your area? I dont think the gnex has 4g(?) But thats the choice id go for. LOADS of dev support for it as well as official support. It should be up to date for years yet.
You do get used to the big display really quick and before you know it, you couldnt go smaller again :thumbup:

For example, I am way more productive on a larger screen than a smaller screen. My high scores on PVZ are way higher on my Galaxy Nexus than on my teeny tiny apple touch mp3 player.

Upvote 0
thank you everyone.
I could also go for the epic 4g touch, but seeing as how the galaxy nexus is only $10-20 more expensive used I might as well go for the nexus. I still may go for the nexus s also.
Just wanted to ask, how long do you think the galaxy nexus will continue to get updates? The nexus s just ended at jellybean, for certain the galaxy nexus should get the next update, but how far do you think it will go? Another year? A few years yet? What would you say?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones