1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3 wey calling shortcoming on Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by RRicci, Jun 30, 2013.

1. RRicci

RRicci Lurker

I found what I think is a shortcoming regarding 3 way calling on the Android platform

Say I'm talking to person A and I want to call person B. fter the conversation, I want to hang up on person B and keep talking to person A. Unless Person is honourable and hangs up, the only way I can hang up on person B is to hit End Call which will hang up person A forcing me to call back person A.

I have a Thunderbolt by HTC. I couldn't figure out how to hang up on person b without hanging up on person A. I called tech support at Verizon Wireless and ntalked to a Level 2 support guy, He couldn't figure out how to do it. I asked him to try 3 random phone to see if they worked. He texted lated saying that none of the phones would do this leading me to believe that Android has this (I assume) unintended shortcoming built in the operating system.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I'm not sure its an unintended consequence, but I know exactly the issue you are describing.

You have the power to disconnect yourself from the call. I'm not sure I'd like the ability for any of the people on the line to disconnect any of the other people on the call.

I think that would rely on a lot more honorable behaviour by the other parties

3. RRicci

RRicci Lurker

I don't think you quite understand.

Let's use 3 way calling on a landline. When you want to make a 3 way call, you "flash" or push the receiver very rapidly (like 1/4 to 1/2 second),make the call, then flash again, and person A and person B are connected. Now, when you are finished with person B, you flash again and person B is gone. That's the part Android won't do.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

IIRC, this problem has existed since long before Android - it's an inherent limitation of CDMA.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

It's an old, time-honored Sales trick.

When you are on a conference call and the other parties are staying on. You say your goodbyes then place the call on mute. They won't hear a thing and assume you are gone and you can gather information.

NOT that I have done this or been a witness of such chicanery.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Exactly. You don't get this gsm phones, but you do on Verizon and Sprint.

7. Joelgp83

Joelgp83 Android Enthusiast

I'm curious. Just what is the key difference between CDMA and GSM that allows/fails this? One would think that 3-way calling, like normal dialing, is an already-established standard and shouldn't care how the request is being processed/transmitted.....

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Sorry, no idea.

I only know that I had complete flexibility in conference calling on GSM and that this is a known limitation on CDMA.

There's no standard, it's a carrier feature.