• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

30-day return without a contract?

This should be no problem; just take the device back to the location you purchased it in with the box, accessories that come with the phone and receipt and they should give you back your money. I am a district manager for an authorized retailer, and I can tell you that I personally would be happy to take it back. We only make about $30-50 if you buy a phone at full price, but $125-$300 if you activate it depending on new/upgrade and price plan.

Upvote 0
That's odd - the rang the store I bought from and they said they had a no-returns policy. I just presumed this was standard practice.

They recommended I try and sell the phone on eBay!

This thread on the Verizon forums would indicate that they take returns on handsets without contract, but I'm not sure if I can return to them given I bought from a retailer

Upvote 0
This should be no problem; just take the device back to the location you purchased it in with the box, accessories that come with the phone and receipt and they should give you back your money. I am a district manager for an authorized retailer, and I can tell you that I personally would be happy to take it back. We only make about $30-50 if you buy a phone at full price, but $125-$300 if you activate it depending on new/upgrade and price plan.

Oh really? Have you heard any word on your side about any new Android phones? Passion? Incredible? Bravo? ANYTHING???? :)

Upvote 0
That's odd - the rang the store I bought from and they said they had a no-returns policy. I just presumed this was standard practice.

They recommended I try and sell the phone on eBay!

This thread on the Verizon forums would indicate that they take returns on handsets without contract, but I'm not sure if I can return to them given I bought from a retailer

That's really strange. Generally Verizon is very strict as far as authorized retailers following Verizon's return policy. If I were you I would take a trip down there and have a word with the management. Any retailer having a no-returns policy smacks of shadiness. Make a big stink if neccesary and ask for the next person up the chain of command if people at the store won't return it for you. Also, check the receipt, typically stores have their return policy printed right on there. If what they told you differs from the printed return policy, contact your local better business bureau and chamber of commerce for assistance if you are unable to get any satisfaction from the company. Try getting Verizon involved if necessary as well, because they have significant control over their authorized retailers -- Verizon can pull their contract at any time and for any reason.
Good luck!

ps. Just out of curiosity, what authorized retailer was it?
(I am gonna be so embarrassed if it's the one I work for...)

Upvote 0
Oh really? Have you heard any word on your side about any new Android phones? Passion? Incredible? Bravo? ANYTHING???? :)

I wish I had something to tell you on this. I hit up my VZW inside contacts for info every time we have a meeting or a conference call, but they are extremely tight-lipped, even with their business partners. We usually find out about device launches early the same way as everyone else: leaked info posted on blogs like engadget or BGR. They let us know with just enough time to get product shipped and our sales staff trained on if it's something they let us launch in our channel at the same time as the corporate channel.
For example: we were officially informed about the plan changes and required data plans for most phones early last week, about the same time it was posted on the interwebs.
We weren't filled in on the Droid and Droid Eris launch dates until about a week before they came out, and training and order availablity weren't opened until a few days before launch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones