1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General $300 for new screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by triumphsprint, Sep 26, 2012.

1. triumphsprint

triumphsprint Newbie
    None

May 28, 2011
    :banghead:AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! I dropped my S3 yesterday from about a metre and it landed on the screen and cracked it. I have a screen protecteor fitted, si I guess thats holding it all together. Everything still works and I went back to the Telstra shop where I bought it and the guy said to go to a phone repair shop cos Telstra are too expensive and would charge $300. So I go to the repair shop he recommends and they want $300 as well cos they use the genuine Samung part. Stupidly I declined the offer for insurance ( I've never busted a phone before - always a first time) are there any alternatives?

Advertisement

2. m7mdk9

m7mdk9 Lurker
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    buy a new one :))

3. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    When you say "Everything still works and I went back to the Telstra shop " do you mean the digitizer still works, like you get a display?

4. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
  5. Eggtastic

Eggtastic Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2012
    none of the above, do this instead, i also dropped my phone...

call samsung customer service. the phone is on a 90 day manufacture's warranty. what you will do is pay $179 to have them repair it. you also have to pay for like $3 for the shipping to the factory but they pay the shipping back to you.

anyway, its a pain in the ass and took me 15 days before I got my phone back, but its the cheapest option that I know of at this point. plus having them do it is guaranteed, unlike if you buy the part yourself and attempt self repair (which is a pain in the @ss anyway).

good luck.

6. triumphsprint

triumphsprint Newbie
    None

May 28, 2011
    Yep, all still works. I got notification of a firmware update this arvo and installed it no problem. The update fixed a problem I had with the bluetooth and my 2009 Toyota Kluger, so it's been a bittersweet week...

7. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    So it only needs a replacement glass. Here is one on Amazon for

triumphsprint likes this.
  8. triumphsprint

triumphsprint Newbie
    None

May 28, 2011
    WOW! That is a massive difference. They say on the link that it is very difficult to disasseble the screen and to esure the buyer can do it before buying the item. I better do a bit of research first. Thanks.

9. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    Yes they do say it is difficult to disassemble the screen, but that's for an "ordinary" person without experience. Lets say you go to that company you mentioned - they have loads of experience. They buy a replacement glass for maybe

10. Wisheezy

Wisheezy Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    just get insurance now, wait two weeks with the screen protector holding it all together and then claim. lol...

11. bupolo

bupolo Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    Male
    Los Angeles
    You can't do that I don't think. He'd probably have to take it into the store and show them it's still in perfect condition.

Anyways, I have the exact same issue, it was a crack on the screen but the screen itself works perfectly fine. I didn't have any screen protector or anything on it, and it's basically just a crack on one corner/side, and some small shattering on the top left corner. There's no sensitivity issues or anything.

I have Sprint Insurance, but I don't like the idea of having to pay $150 to get a refurbished phone when my current GS3 works perfectly fine. They won't fix it because the crack is longer than 2 inches (it's debatable whether it's more than 2 inches).

Could I really just buy the glass - like from the link below - and take it into a shop to see if they could put the new glass on for a lower cost? Think that would fly? If I tried to take it to a shop they said it'd cost $250 to replace the screen, but I'm assuming that include purchase of the digitizer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-GT-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348775176&sr=1-1

12. Wisheezy

Wisheezy Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2012
    United Kingdom

Nope he won't :) plenty of online phone insurance companies
    for example: Protect your bubble UK | Mobile Phone Insurance, iPhone Insurance & Gadget Insurance

13. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    I think all told the best course of action may be to get in touch with Samsung, as a previous poster said, and ask them to quote for replacement of the screen glass only? I would guess they must have loads of high tech gear which could do the job easy peasy.

14. triumphsprint

triumphsprint Newbie
    None

May 28, 2011
    I hunted/phoned around and this is what I have come up with. I called Samsung and was directed to 2 authorised service centres nearby. The first one was $240 with 4 - 5 working days turnaround. I can't go without my phone that long and I can't switch the sim over to an older phone I have cos of the micro sim. The second one was $275 with around a 45 minute wait. Both options put the phone back into warranty. Then I could go to another phone repairer for $220 but no warranty except that it will work when he hands the phone back. Nobody will do a glass replacement only. Looks like I'll hafta bite the bullet and hand over $275.

15. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    Another idea would be to sell your phone on ebay and buy a used one to similar specs (obviously keep the SD card from your present phone). This guy is selling a cracked S3 on ebay Samsung galaxy s3 16gb white | eBay and currently has bids of

bupolo likes this.
  16. bupolo

None

Nov 23, 2010
    Male
    Los Angeles

17. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    I'm lucky to not be in this position but I certainly wouldn't pay $300 or close when I knew it involved using a hair dryer and a plastic knife and that the part cost $10-20!

bupolo likes this.
  18. bupolo

None

Nov 23, 2010
    Male
    Los Angeles
    Que???

19. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    If you watch the video's I linked to earlier, the glass screen is fixed to the phone by double sided adhesive tape. Removing it involves heating the screen up with a hair dryer and prising it away with a plastic knife (plastic so as to avoid scratching the bezel). Cost of replacement glass is $10-20.

bupolo likes this.
  20. arkangeluk

arkangeluk Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Male
    somewhere between here and there
    when i broke my screen i contacted my bank because my account covered two phones. paid

21. bupolo

None

Nov 23, 2010
    Male
    Los Angeles
    Thank you!! I'm not that concerned with scratching the bezel as mine has scratches all around the sides (though I guess they're covered by the phone cover). However, how difficult is it to do it cleanly/not letting any dust or something else disrupt the touch sensitivity or camera function?

I watched much of that video (though I didn't have time to watch all 30 minutes). Is he replacing the screen AND the digitizer, or just the screen?

22. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    First video he is replacing both screen and digitizer in the other video the other guy is replacing just the screen , though its not as good a video.

bupolo likes this.
  23. bupolo

None

Nov 23, 2010
    Male
    Los Angeles
    Got it ok thank you!! I'm watching it now. It seems like the best way would be to use a blowdryer, but to have someone else applying the heat via the blowdryer while I try to remove the screen using a plastic knife?

Also, it looks like the entire first part he he just has a very small portion of the plastic knife under the screen to prevent it from hitting the actual LCD portion of the screen? Is it that delicate? I'd like to avoid damaging the LCD/digitizer.

The whole process looks intimidating even after he gets the screen off, with all the problems with those buttons popping up and trying to get all the glue residue off the screen. Plus he is just letting the screen sit there, how does dust not get inside of it? Even when I'm in the bathroom with humid air I have a bit of trouble applying screen protectors with NO dust.

The one last thing he does is not apply any new glue. Do you suggest that? I looked at his later comments and it seems he didn't have any problems with it even after (without putting any additional glue back on).

24. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2012
    I need to stress that I have never done this repair! All I have been saying is that if I had this problem, this is what I would do. There was a white galaxy s2 with a cracked screen on ebay just went for

bupolo likes this.