• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 32GB Micro SDHC Card: eBay

1967ls2

Apr 29, 2010
So I know that the new 32GB Micro SDHC cards cost about $199. Either way I searched on eBay and saw that a bunch of them were selling for around $20-30, I know too good to be true. I figured it's only $30 and worst case scenario if it doesn't pan out then I can file a claim with eBay and get my money refunded and best case scenario I get some Chinese 32GB memory card and hope it works properly. The seller had good feedback and was a registered eBay user and not a first time seller which gave me hope that I could get this thing.
I'm sure everyone reading this already knows where this is heading. I filed my dispute with eBay this morning and was told that my account would be refunded after 7 days. So good news is I'm getting my money back at least. The seller also gave me a tracking number for the item and it says that it is out for delivery. So maybe it might show up and I will get the memory card as well but I'm not going to hold my breath. Either way just a friendly warning don't buy any of these from ebay, it's a Chinese scam, but it's pointless since they will just reverse the charge and refund my account from their account.
Also when checking the feedback many others have bought the same item and left positive feedback which was the weird part.

People that buy memory cards on EBay shouldn't have the right to go back and complain.

I work with the Police and we get calls from idiots all the time who live in crappy areas and complain that their GPS/laptop/wallet was stolen out of there unlocked car overnight...Really? You don't need to be Nostradamus to see that one coming. Seriously you do something stupid live with it...

Upvote 0
So you filed a dispute with Ebay before even receiving the item? Sounds shady on your part..unless I'm missing something

I never received the item. The seller sent me 3 different tracking numbers and none of them worked. I received an email from ebay saying the seller was removed from ebay for an undisclosed reason. The final tracking number he gave me said the "item" was out for delivery but it has never left China. Like I said I don't expect to see it show up in my mail box.

Upvote 0
People that buy memory cards on EBay shouldn't have the right to go back and complain.

I work with the Police and we get calls from idiots all the time who live in crappy areas and complain that their GPS/laptop/wallet was stolen out of there unlocked car overnight...Really? You don't need to be Nostradamus to see that one coming. Seriously you do something stupid live with it...

The current 16GB memory card that I am using and have been using for the past 2.5 years was purchased off ebay for $50. Why shouldn't I be able to get my money back. I paid for an item that was to be delivered to me. I did my part and expect to recieve the item that was described in the item listing. It's not like as you describe, I left my wallet sitting on a park bench and expect it to be there the next day. So if you ordered your new HTC Incredible off line from Verizon wouldn't you expect it to be delivered to your house? Or if it doesn't get there I should say to you, well your an idiot for not going into the store and actually paying for the item and walking out of the store with it in hand. What do you expect from ordering something online, serves you right.

Look I didn't post this thread to get the third degree from a bunch of overly critical people. I was merely trying to inform anyone before they made the mistake of trying to purchase one of these and then had to go through the process of filing a dispute to get your money returned because the seller turns out to be bogus. That's why they have "dispute resolution" and "ebay buyer protection", so people who are out there trying to scam buyers will have their account charged and refund the purchaser.
I also purchased some UGG's for my lady from some Chinese seller off ebay and they were way cheaper than the one's here. The listing was removed after I made the purchase and I contacted the seller immediately and he remedied the situation. I recieved the item, they were as described and actually seemed to be better than the ones in the store that we had looked at.
Just because it seems too good to be true doesn't mean that it just isn't a good deal.
This one turned out not to be a good deal though. I get my money back, the seller gets removed from ebay, I can help out the Android community and give back some valuable information, it's a win win situation.

Or I can say $crew the Android community and let others learn on their own. Either way just trying to help, Sorry.

Upvote 0
Was this really worth the cost of your time, though? After all, you already 99% knew that it was a scam even before buying the card....

To be honest, I didn't know 99% that it was a scam. There were other buyers who had purchased the same 32GB card that gave the seller positive feedback within the past month and a half. His rating was like 98% positive. I also looked at the buyer's feedback who were leaving the seller positive feedback to make sure they were legit and their history seemed to be that of a legit buyer and seller.
There was nothing that stuck out that screamed this is a scam. I know that Sandisk has recently started selling them for nearly $200 but it isn't too far out there that China is making knock off's for a fraction of the price. I have bought plenty of stuff off ebay at a fraction of the cost and this is the first time I have ever had an issue like this. As mentioned in my previous post, when I purchased the UGG's they were WAY cheaper than the one's here in the US but they were identical in every way if not better then the one's we saw in the store. The one's in the story seemed flimsy and the material seemed cheaper. The ones I got off the Chinese ebayer felt like better quality and my lady has been rocking them since Xmas.
And the amount of time it took me to purchase the item, and then file the dispute took litteraly less than 5 minutes. Granted I got a few lame emails from the guy but actually purchase and dispute filing time was quick, painless and easy.
Like I said, I'm just trying to help others out, take it for what it is and lets not beat this to death. Bad transaction, take from it what you may.

Upvote 0
So you filed a dispute with Ebay before even receiving the item? Sounds shady on your part..unless I'm missing something

I agree here how can you file a claim before you even receive the item when the seller gave you a tracking number and everything? People like you are the main reasons scams are as bad a problem as they are today i mean you could receive a memory card that works perfectly fine but if you are going to file a claim before you get the item stay off ebay you make using it a hassle for others.

Upvote 0
Some of you people giving the OP an attitude either have reading comprehension problems or woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. He clearly stated the seller gave him not one but three tracking numbers - all of which turned out to be completely bogus. This is not a case of him filing a dispute before a legitimate item arrived - it is a case of a scammer/seller trying to buy time by giving the buyer bogus tracking numbers in hopes the buyer will simply not look further into it/forget about it altogether/give the seller time to disappear.
I would have done the exact same thing if I had bought something on eBay, only to be given the runaround with multiple tracking numbers which turned out to be tracking either a stagnant shipment and/or a nonexistant shipment.

To the OP:
Thank you for the information. I completely understand where you're coming from with this post, and I (for one) appreciate you taking the time to inform the AndroidForums community of this scam. As you said, just because something on eBay sells at a lower-than-usual price does not automatically make it suspect. As you said, eBay is chock-full of deals to be had.
Alternatively, I would probably never purchase new technology like the 32GB SD card either used or from an alternative manufacturer. I just personally think it's too big a gamble, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up,
Kushtronics

Reactions: DJ-Anakin
Upvote 0
Some of you people giving the OP an attitude either have reading comprehension problems or woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. He clearly stated the seller gave him not one but three tracking numbers - all of which turned out to be completely bogus. This is not a case of him filing a dispute before a legitimate item arrived - it is a case of a scammer/seller trying to buy time by giving the buyer bogus tracking numbers in hopes the buyer will simply not look further into it/forget about it altogether/give the seller time to disappear.
I would have done the exact same thing if I had bought something on eBay, only to be given the runaround with multiple tracking numbers which turned out to be tracking either a stagnant shipment and/or a nonexistant shipment.

To the OP:
Thank you for the information. I completely understand where you're coming from with this post, and I (for one) appreciate you taking the time to inform the AndroidForums community of this scam. As you said, just because something on eBay sells at a lower-than-usual price does not automatically make it suspect. As you said, eBay is chock-full of deals to be had.
Alternatively, I would probably never purchase new technology like the 32GB SD card either used or from an alternative manufacturer. I just personally think it's too big a gamble, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up,
Kushtronics

Hallelujah!! Someone who isn't a complete ret@rd! I have been waiting 2+ weeks to recieve this item. I didn't file a dispute with ebay until I received an email from EBAY stating that the seller has been REMOVED from ebay. He gave me 3 bogus tracking numbers and the last one he gave me said that the item was still in china, if it was the item at all and if it was a legit shipping service which it didn't seem like to begin with.

What is with all you people, beating me up like I am the Grinch who stole Christmas or something. Try to help people out and you make me into America's Most wanted. This is freakin Ridiculous...

THANK YOU "Kushtronics"

Upvote 0
I buy and sell on eBay, and I've only not received an item once. In that instance, like the OP I received notice that the seller had been removed from eBay. I got my money back through PayPal without too much hassle, and no I never did receive the item. I also am usually careful to check sellers' feedback. I wonder if part of the reason these sellers get removed is getting caught somehow getting bogus feedback (eg 'selling' to friends).

Personally I have no problem with what the OP did.

Upvote 0
I've bought a few memory cards from the chinese sellers and had no problem with them. the shipping they use you can only track until it leaves china and usually it takes a little longer to receive it

Well my point exactly. Like I said I also purchased my 16GB card off ebay and it has been solid for 2.5 years. I received 1 tracking number for it and it arrived well before 2 weeks.
So far I have been given 3 bogus tracking numbers, the seller has been removed from ebay, ebay sent me an email informing me that he is no longer a registered ebayer and it has been over 2 weeks and I still have not recieved anything. I can understand shipping from China may take "a little longer" but 2+ weeks and then to have the seller removed from ebay, how can anyone point the finger at me for filing a complaint to have my money refunded.

ckochinsky125
"I agree here how can you file a claim before you even receive the item when the seller gave you a tracking number and everything? People like you are the main reasons scams are as bad a problem as they are today i mean you could receive a memory card that works perfectly fine but if you are going to file a claim before you get the item stay off ebay you make using it a hassle for others. "

People like me? What the hell is that supposed to mean. I have bought and sold 113 items on ebay and I have 100% positive feedback. I'm not trying to rip anyone off or run any scams. It's people like me who make ebay a good and trusted place to buy and sell items. It's people like me who take the hit and inform the community so they don't have to make the same mistake. It's people like me who get attacked by jerks like you when I'm just trying to help.

It's PEOPLE LIKE YOU who don't or can't read, jump to conclusions, make wild accusations, don't have their facts in line before they speak or in this case type out a reply to a thread. It's people like you who will make me & others think twice before they try to help someone. It's people like you who should probably keep their thoughts to themselves and think before they speak/type.

If someone reads this thread and thinks twice before trying to buy a bogus memory card on line then I accomplished the goal that I set out by posting this. I can take some heat from some trolls along the way, no big deal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones