• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 32GB Micro SDHC card won't "Remember" my music?

D

Deleted User

Hi guys, i'm Scott... A newbie in the Android Forums.

I just got a new Kingston 32GB Micro SDHC card for my Samsung Galaxy S. First thing I did was format the card on my computer to the FAT32 file system. I have tried many times now to copy my entire music library over to the card, which has about 2000 songs in total (23GB). Every time I try, after waiting a few hours for the files to copy, I see that a couple of the albums have successfully been copied to the MicroSD card, but every other album folder appears to be completely empty. The strange thing is, it still says there is only 9GB of storage space left on the card even though 99% of the folders are empty. What's going on here, have a bought a broken card? I've tried copying the music to the card through my Galaxy S I9000 but the same thing happens - it saves a few songs but the rest are nowhere to be seen :(

Your problem probably lies in having formatted the card on your PC. The manual that came with my SGS says "Formatting your memory card on a PC may cause incompatibilities with your device. Format the memory card only on the device"

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried formatting the card on my phone as well and then transferring the music over via the Samsung Kies software, but this still results in the empty folders that take up a lot of storage space.

During the file copy process I can see that the music is being transferred successfully, but as soon as the process is complete most of the songs just seem to disappear from the SD card before I've even disconnected the phone from the computer.

Upvote 0
Have you tried to just copy and past the songs to card without using KIES? Just format the card on the phone, connect using Mass Storage mode and just copy the music over using Windows Explorer, and see if that works.

Ah, now that may be an idea - I haven't tried it in mass storage mode yet. I've only tried in Kies mode and media player mode. Thanks.
And the files are all mp3's, apart from one or two m4a files which are automatically converted to mp3 upon transferring them :)

Upvote 0
I'm also having the same problem, i jst formatted the same card mentioned, copy and pasted it on pc, it doesn't work..... i did buy my card from Ebay so i guess it's 1 o those dodgey 1's, cuz it did read music from my 2gb card,,,,,, heyy also i'm putting 2,256 song on mine it's only 10.9gb bro u should convert ur files b4 u put them on ur phone u will fit wayyy more (unless u want th best sound quality u can get from tht file cuz it does lower th qual a tad whn u convert) so i guess i need a new card then..... not from Ebay hahaha :D

Upvote 0
i just copied the music to th phone memory from my pc then unplugged it, then i moved the files from th phone mem to th card went into th music player and it works!!!! but tht cant b th way to do it...... it has to b a faulty card but at least i got it goin untill i get a good 1 u should try tht Scozza i knw it's been like 3 months u most likely hav a good card now lol

Upvote 0
Hello. I'm also a newbie.
I am having this problem too. I have spent something close to 8 hrs copying data which my phone says is not there.
I have tried the following:
1) Copying the music to the device in Data Storage mode - Fail (only some albums visible)
2) Taking out the microSD card, copying the data to the card and seeing it there on windows explorer. When I put the card back in my phone it cannot see anything.
I have tried quite a few more things but can't be bothered to list them.

I have 16 GB of music to copy across. Has anyone done this successfully? Can you please tell me what you did?

Thanks goyal.sanchit. I am downloading the program to test the memory card now.

Ok. Just finished the test. It seems to perform like any other card although I'm not so sure. I've attached the graph to this post. The red line is my card. Any comments?

I don't think it's the card so as I said above: I would like to hear from people who successfully transferred their music.

Attachments

• Test Results from 32GB card.png
    Test Results from 32GB card.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
You all aren't gonna believe this. After copying data a few times my MicroSD card just stopped working.
I decided to buy a reputable brand card instead of going for the cheapest like I did the first time.
I bought a card made by Kingston and now the problem has GONE AWAY!!!
It remembered all my data first time!!
I'm so happy. Its like my phone is new again :)

Who would have thought that the reason for these problems was a cruddy memory card!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones