• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

33 miners raised safely in Chile

arigold

Oct 11, 2010
The longest underground nightmare in history ended safely — and faster than anyone expected.
In a flawless operation that unfolded before a hopeful, transfixed world, 33 miners who were trapped for more than two months deep beneath the Chilean earth were raised one by one Wednesday through a smooth-walled shaft of rock.
The last man out was the one who held the group together when they were feared lost, a shift foreman named Luis Urzua who enforced tight rations of their limited food and supplies before help could arrive.
"We have done what the entire world was waiting for," he said immediately after his rescue. "We had strength, we had spirit, we wanted to fight, we wanted to fight for our families, and that was the greatest thing."
Not even a full 24 hours after the rescue began, Urzua made the 2,041-foot ascent in a rescue capsule called Phoenix and emerged from a manhole-sized opening in the ground to a joyous celebration of confetti, balloons and champagne.
Presiden Sebastian
Pinera told him: "You are not the same, and the country is not the same after this. You were an inspiration. Go hug your wife and your daughter." With hardhats held to their hearts, the pair led a joyous crowd in singing the national anthem.
The first rescue worker down was last up — Manuel Gonzalez, a mine rescue expert with Chile's state-owned Codelco copper company, talked the men through the final hours inside the mine. Then, he spent 26 minutes alone down below before he strapped himself into the capsule for the ride up. He reached the surface at 12:32 a.m. Thursday local time to hugs from his comrades and Pinera

More info about it here:

They're all out: 33 miners raised safely in Chile - Yahoo! News

I didn't get to see it but, it actually made me happy this is one of the most watched thing ever..

I hate that everyone tunes in to beheads in iraq and reality tv..

So for me.. hearing that it was the most streamed live event ever actually made me happy.

One of those rare exceptions where human kind seemed redeemed in some way.

Everyone in the world was relieved for some poor guys stuck a mile underground and in incredibly dire circumstances.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
Yeah the guy with the mistress might have been better off staying in the hole. LOL

I loved how the last rescuer out Took a bow before the chamber's cameras, then jumped in the basket and off he went.

So how long do you think it will be before there is a hollywood movie about this?

Upvote 0
Yup! I bet they are happy campers... I know their families must be happy.

They were miners not campers..

laugh.gif

I watched some if it. Good feel good story. I think the President of Chile said America is the best country in the world because of our help.

Upvote 0
I'm sure glad they all got out of that 90 degree, 90 percent humidity hole a half mile down, safe after all this time. This could have turned into another in a long list of mining tragedies we've been seeing over the years.

Gold and Copper mining has its hazards just as well as coal mining, we now know.

Intervention on a world wide scale helped immensely, which hopefully will bring people together on not just the level of good will about it, but on the expert level of how to deal with the many coal mine collapses that will inevitably occur again in various places around the world.

Upvote 0
I'm sure glad they all got out of that 90 degree, 90 percent humidity hole a half mile down, safe after all this time. This could have turned into another in a long list of mining tragedies we've been seeing over the years.

Gold and Copper mining has its hazards just as well as coal mining, we now know.

Intervention on a world wide scale helped immensely, which hopefully will bring people together on not just the level of good will about it, but on the expert level of how to deal with the many coal mine collapses that will inevitably occur again in various places around the world.

Amen to that! :)

Upvote 0

I was extremely impressed that NASA got involved to insure the health of the miners.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones