1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3500mAh Battery for $4.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hdsixhundred, Jan 25, 2013.

1. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Ah. Well I don't like waiting that long for anything I order online.
    I remember I ordered a housing for the Dell Streak last year from Hong Kong and it got here 21 days later. :mad:

Any places in USA that sells Samsung Note II accessories?
    I don't mind paying more for as long as I get it here quicker.
    The Note II is not a cheap phone, if one can afford the Note II, they can afford paying more for accessories. ;)

Advertisement

2. hdsixhundred

hdsixhundred Member

It's a $4 battery with Free shipping. Do you NEED it this week or next? I would be willing to wager NO. A deal is a deal. Verizon/ATT would be more than willing to take some of that cash off your hands ;)

3. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Well, I call it "If it is too good to be true" it probably is. ;)
    I'd be concerned about the quality.
    I'm willing to pay more to get a better battery within 3 days.
    If you can afford a Note II, you can afford to pay more for accessories.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Let's all please remember our Site Rules/Guidelines whose core message is to post politely and respectfully towards one another.

Thanks! :)

El Presidente and D-U-R-X like this.
  5. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

6. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert

I'm willing to bet is a hit or miss kind of deal. I can imagine that the source of these batteries are the same source of branded batteries, the only thing is that it didn't pass a more rigid quality testing as required by the company who are selling the batteries. That doesn't mean it won't perform as well as a branded battery, it only means that you might have one that is good, but you can also have one that will be a lemon. I remembered buying a 2 extended battery + charger package, one battery did about half a year later while the other one was able to post my phone for more than a year and a half before showing signs of lower charge capabilities. Still it was a bargain at 12 dollars.

Sent using the force

Putty, hdsixhundred and scary alien like this.
  7. hdsixhundred

hdsixhundred Member

Quality post. Thanks for the info!

8. droidcentric

droidcentric Well-Known Member

China Post is heavily subsidized by shipments to and from US, UK and CA citizens due to trade agreement bullish. Basically they pay virtually zero duties on many things and by not declaring other things properly. Then our postal services essentially make free delivery (partly why US Postal Service and Canada Post are losing millions per year) on behalf of China Post. But when we return something to China however it's a whole different story because we don't get the equal trade benefits which China receives.

It was going to cost me $18 to return a $4 item that cost the sender $.08 USD at the time. The time it takes for things to arrive from China is due to these shipments being sent via shipping containers which are sent by sea rather then air freight which is more costly. Sometimes ships hit rough weather or need to take detours which can delay arrival by many days. Another factor is containers often get held up for various reasons such as missing paperwork or port and or customs delays.

Also by the time your package reaches US soil it can take in excess of 5 days just to get through the postal system to your door. So add a week at Sea/Ports and a few days to a week for China Post to actually get it out and this adds up to approx three weeks depending what port your package happens to arrive at.

jack58 and scary alien like this.
  9. NeuDroid

NeuDroid Well-Known Member

There was still 35min left when I made my attempts.

10. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Exactly "some" of the reason I won't order anything that gets shipped from China. Last I time I did that in Jan 2012, it took 21 days before I got it. No more!

11. hdsixhundred

hdsixhundred Member

I received the battery day. I purchased on Jan. 25th it was marked as SHIPPED on Jan. 27th and arrived Feb. 6th. Took roughly 10 days to arrive from date shipped which is not bad at all. I popped it into my phone to ensure it worked and was charged up to ~60%. I will charge this up tonight and let it fully discharge and see how long it can go. Photos below for anyone interested.

$4 Galaxy Note II 3500mah Battery - Imgur

donec likes this.
  12. Puppa

Puppa Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the info on this battery, everyone.
    From my purely technical point of view, given the history of fires and explosions that have occurred on some electronics with even expensive batteries, I'd be more inclined to worry about such an occurrence given the $4 price tag (about 1/10th the OEM price). (The fire/explosion phenomenon occurs when impurities are present in the cells and they migrate due to charging/discharging repeatedly.)

There's no way I'd put my $700 phone, my $60 jeans, my $200 nightstand, etc. etc. at risk just to save a few bucks on a battery. I am, however, interested in the outcomes. I wish all the best to everyone who tries it. Please let us know your experiences here (good and/or bad).

13. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast

Got mine yesterday. Charged last night and put it in the phone this morning.
    At 3h55m, the battery is 87%, which seems lower than the Samsung battery.

UPDATE:
    Last night it was at 55% when I plugged it back in. Usually at 70-75% with the Samsung battery, but had slightly more use yesterday.

UPDATE 2:
    First time I've seen the "Connect your charger" message last night after the hockey game (they lost.).
    Seem like this is only going to be an emergency spare battery. With the Samsung battery, I never got below 50%.

14. HTTR

HTTR Android Enthusiast

Just got it. Popped it in and working fine. Came at 60% charged..will give it a full charge and see what happens

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

15. Putty

Putty Android Expert

Got mine today...put it in and it's charging now. Will report how it handles a load tomorrow.

16. Putty

Putty Android Expert

Dropped 7% with no use in 46 mins. Not looking like its better than stock battery so far.

17. donec

donec Well-Known Member

Got my charger and a couple days later got my battery (ordered battery first).

Anyway the charger is only at best a 4.35vdc @ 3300 to 350mA charger which is less than a USB port (often 5vdc @ 500mA). So it will be slow like overnight to charge a run down battery.

When I checked my battery on arrival and it was at 67%. I tried to charge it up to 100% and it took 3 tries to reach 100% one over night in the charger and twice charging in the phone with the phone off to push it up to 100% (in phone charges from a 2A source). The last 2% were in the phone.

It does not really say anything bad about taking 3 tries to completely fill the battery the first time. Only the future will tell about quality.

I now have the new battery set aside and will try and see what the shelf life without drain is.

BTW the USB port (5.2vdc @ 800mA) on the charger is higher than the battery potion. Reason unknown.

18. HTTR

HTTR Android Enthusiast

For $4-, it is charged and sitting in my glove box in the car. I'll the the chance for $4 to have a back up.

Not using this as a replacement to stock battery, just an extra.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

scary alien likes this.
  19. wow!

this battery lasted about one half the time compared to the stock battery.

20. Putty

Putty Android Expert

Yes, they are junk.

21. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

It is reason like this I refuse to order anything that gets shipped from China or Hong Kong. I'd rather pay more and keep the business in USA where I live. Buying from China or outsourcing the work to China is a big reason the economy is bad here. China cheats with cheap poor condition labor and they cheat in the delivery system. I won't support that.

22. jack58

jack58 Android Expert

Unfortunately, you always get what you pay for ;)

23. donec

donec Well-Known Member

I got one of these batteries and have been doing a shelf life test to see how well it held up as a backup battery and so far here are my results....

Backup battery shelf life
    100% 2-9-2013 1243
    93% 2-10-2013 1846
    92% 2-13-2013 1122
    89% 2-24-2013 1240
    89% 3-7-2013 1426

scary alien likes this.
  24. TheOtherBill

TheOtherBill Well-Known Member

Yes, but for a backup battery $4 is well worth it. If I have a problem with my primary I can live with it for the several days it would take to get a new OEM (or equivalent) battery.

25. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Which was what the OP initially said- a backup battery.
    Some of the posts I've read in this thread come off as though this is supposed to be a replacement battery.

Truth be told- if this battery had performed BETTER than stock, those leaving negative comments would be praising it to the hilt and talking about the OEM battery is sitting in a drawer as a spare.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews