• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

360 Shuts off at 30%

lunatic59

Moderati ergo sum
Jun 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
www.cmgd.net
Just this week, my 360 has started to crap out on me when the battery reaches 30%. No warning, just off. Can't restart it either unless i charge it for a few minutes and then it boots normally. I think my battery is about to go. I've had it since Nov. 2014, so it might be time for a replacement.

I have checked into replacement batteries, but man, what a PITA to get the thing open. Don't know if I'll be going with another 360.

Say it ain't so!

Of course if you want to make sure she's really on the way out, try a watch reset first. (I'm sure you've done that or considered that).

This has been a great watch for me for the last 8 months and I'm looking forward to at least another year of reliable operation. But I toy with the idea of what I would buy if mine died today (focusing on the low cost end because my wife limits my budget for technology toys ;-( ). The zenwatch 2 can be had for around $130 and LG Watch Urbane (1st generation) I've seen on sale a few times down close to $150 new (although usually $200+) Both seem like good options which would improve battery life and responsiveness compared to the 2014 moto 360 with a reasonable appearance. I'm sure you've given it some thought... care to share what watches are you thinking about?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've looked at the Urbane, but I'd want the 2nd gen just like the Moto 360. Not a big fan of the Zenwatch at all. The reason why I'm thinking about the Fossil is that first and foremost, it's an attractive watch that looks like a watch, not a little iPod strapped to your wrist.

Fossil Q Founder

The downsides seem to be that there is no heart rate sensor (no that the Moto 360's has been all that accurate) and he battery performance isn't stellar. Plus, they did the same "flat tire" thing that Motorola does. Not that I mind it so much, but I wouldn't mind it going away. As a smartwatch, it's incredibly average, but as a watch it's very nice looking.

Upvote 0
I know personal experience can sour a person. That said, I have both V1 and V2 of the 360 and both are still working flawlessly. You might have gotten a bad apple. Might not want to let it spoil the basket.

Anyway, good luck whichever route you choose to go but the Urbane V2 (LTE) seems to have hit a snag early (tho they recently re-released it) and it's fricking huge. And on your link it looks like Amazon is reviewing? the Fossil? Whatever that means.

I do love Fossil watches in general, I have 2 in my watch box right this moment. ;)

Upvote 0
Interesting development. The watchmaker watch face i have been using began to not change when I put in on the charger. I could get the screen to go off, but into charge mode. This all started after sending through security at the Philly airport. Hmmm ... possible something with the xray muddled the watch? If anything, I would look at the magnetic fields from the motors that run the conveyors. Makes you think.

In any case, i performed a factory reset last night and now it works as before. We'll see if that sets things right with regards to the battery.

Upvote 0
not sure about the airport thing. ive been through several airports in the last few months traveling and this watch has been ran through many of these. have not noticed any issues with that. (version 2)

sounds like the watchmaker and/or the particular face may be acting rogue. if the face has hooks that call out to get weather, gps, and other stats from the phone , something could be stuck or polling more than normal, which could be causing the battery issue.

just speculation bro. i would have suggested reinstalling the watch face and /or the maker app its using and then monitor...

Upvote 0
I've been using this face for a few weeks.

tpqul4gXcgzEzt1wUB1ILleuk7-m70Zqtpf-p0EqKzAvc8wA0ouTx0xdhe8hHJWXODZkvFwyYA=w1920-h1080-rw-no

https://plus.google.com/103738956519611908253/posts/ToymBjvKvKD

Maybe I'll switch it out to something generic to see if it will stop acting up.

Upvote 0
Sadly, the reset did not help, even stripped down to no custom faces or apps. It is dying sooner each day, but when put on a charger, it starts at 40%, and charges rapidly. I dare say the battery is browning nicely with a delicate crust and soon will be toast. ;)

So, I am going to attempt a battery-ectomy .... after my NEW watch arrives.

Yep. I did it.

Fossil-Q-Founder-1.jpg

Arriving Friday, thankyouverymuch Amazon Prime. :D

Upvote 0
Interesting development. The watchmaker watch face i have been using began to not change when I put in on the charger. I could get the screen to go off, but into charge mode. This all started after sending through security at the Philly airport. Hmmm ... possible something with the xray muddled the watch? If anything, I would look at the magnetic fields from the motors that run the conveyors. Makes you think.

In any case, i performed a factory reset last night and now it works as before. We'll see if that sets things right with regards to the battery.

I have the Watchmaker face freeze on the dock also. It will not switch to the charging face.
Did the reset fix it?

When this started happening i also lost battery life. If I run a watchmaker face, the battery now goes almost twice as fast as with a normal face. Before it was fine.

Upvote 0
I ran the watchmaker face for several months without problem. Then when this started happening, I did a full reset of the watch and kept it fairly vanilla with no apps or anything too custom and it performed better, but still would shut off in the ~30% range. After the reset I did eventually try the watchmaker face again and it didn't freeze like it did before, but the battery was still atrocious. I think the fluctuation voltage of a failing battery messes up watchmaker and the ability to sense charging. That is my guess, anyway.

Upvote 0
I have been having a similar problem where the watch will just suddenly turn off and there is no hope turning back on. I have also noticed that sometimes when I manually power down from the settings menu that it will also not turn on via the button. The only way for it to turn back on is placing it on the charger. There was one time when it even said 61%! Really weird because I did love this watch since I got it at launch.

Upvote 0
I have been having a similar problem where the watch will just suddenly turn off and there is no hope turning back on. I have also noticed that sometimes when I manually power down from the settings menu that it will also not turn on via the button. The only way for it to turn back on is placing it on the charger. There was one time when it even said 61%! Really weird because I did love this watch since I got it at launch.

Yeah, it's frustrating and sad to see this great device die a slow death. I still haven't attempted the battery replacement because it's just such an ill-conceived process. I have to ask myself if Motorola considered this to be a disposable rather than being able to be serviced.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones