1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3850 mAh extended battery, trying it out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ebj5883, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ebj5883

ebj5883 Newbie

Hey there everyone. I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet, but after multiple searches about trying to help out the miserableness that is the LG Connect's battery life, I came across this battery:

Amazon.com: QCell MetroPCS LG Connect 4G MS840 3850mAh Extended Battery + FREE Battery Cover! (NOT compatible with LG Spectrum / LG Thrill / LG Esteem): Cell Phones & Accessories

I've already ordered it, and if anyone is interested in the outcome, I'll be receiving it Wednesday, and can post an update on how things turn out. this weekend should be enough "play time" to test it out.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. THE W

THE W Android Expert

Yes this battery was mentioned two threads below this one.

I ordered one myself.

3. ebj5883

ebj5883 Newbie

Hadn't noticed, I'll go check it out. How're your results with it?

4. Sniper1087

Sniper1087 Well-Known Member

I ordered mine too I'll be getting mine on wednesday and well I will have to cycle it and see how it performs.

5. THE W

THE W Android Expert

I get mine on Thursday.

6. ebj5883

ebj5883 Newbie

So I'm content with the results, and other than the laughs my friends got out of my now bloated LG Connect, I don't too much mind it's appearance anymore. In case anyone is interested, I'm getting approx. 36-42 hours of life out of this battery with typical use (which I guess is defined as follows):

1.) Powered on 24/7
    2.) Juice Defender on "Balanced"
    3.) SetCPU: 432 < 1080 when in use, 192 < 432 when idle, 192 < 1188 when charging
    4.) LG Connect Optimizer on default settings
    5.) Relatively frequent texting, not so much with calls these days
    6.) Approximately 1-2 hours of gaming per day (work breaks, waiting between night classes, etc.)

I'm pretty new to all this stuff, so I apologize if I made any noobish errors on my list above :) but I know we're all having battery issues so I just figured I'd pass my info along to those interested. Feel free to ask any additional questions, as I imagine I've left out all sorts of handy information.

7. Sniper1087

you have an extended battery that is that big and running JD >.< plus underclock? might as well use it with the standard battery, for me it lasts me approximately up to 24-25 hours with maximum brightness both cores running with lg connect optimizer, at maximum settings basicaly and my phone is smooth, but would like it to be faster, i tried different launchers like go launcher, espier launcher, launcher 7 and milocker and they are nice the one that runs the best is launcher 7, go launcher has some lag sometimes, and espier is just an iphone launcher, so boring.

8. brian1984

brian1984 Well-Known Member

just to make sure is this battery the same size as 3500??
    can i use the same cover that came with the 3500 or just need to get new cover?

9. THE W

THE W Android Expert

couldnt confirm it but i believe so.

if you order the 3850 it will come with a backcover anyway.

10. 4ubest

4ubest Android Enthusiast

I have the 3500 and 3850 and they are identical in size and the back is the same for each so now I have 3 backs and 3 batteries

Today I surfed the net and also watched 7 hrs of netflix on WiFi / 4G and I still had about 18% battery left.

11. THE W

THE W Android Expert

wifi the whole way?

12. 4ubest

Mostly..probably about 96% WiFi 4% 4 G

13. robertkoa

robertkoa Android Enthusiast

These extended batteries seem to solve the overheating issues as well- right ?

So I'm watching in case I decide to get a Connect.

Seems like eventually I'm going to see a 6500 mah- that's 2 inches thick !

But actually to get a continuous 8-10 hours- the thicker 3500 3800 mah seem worth it and hopefully a slim true 2400 mah for 4 to 6 hours would be a good compromise also.

Great that you guys are doing the R@D on this before I actually pull the trigger on the Connect, unless another better option or new phone comes along for Metro- I'm a little disappointed they went up to $70. for unlimited as I may want to upgrade my Plan if I get a Connect but $70.seems steep for Metro.....

14. ebj5883

ebj5883 Newbie

I used to have a running temp. of approx. 105F with the stock battery, and with the 3850 I'm now running in the upper 80's to lower 90's, so I guess to answer your question, yes, it does seem to help with the heating.

15. THE W

THE W Android Expert

the battery life issue is resolved but im not sure about the overheating. the phone seems to not be able to measure temperature accurately with the extended battery. while streaming video or playing angry birds the phone has gotten warm yet the temp meter never goes over 89F. i'd be interested to see if people who use to get popup warnings for overheating on the stock battery get those warnings with the extended battery while doing the same things they did before to heat up the phone.

as far as the new $70 plans, even at that price its still the best deal you're gonna get for an unlimited everything plan. boost, virgin, straight talk, simplemoible, and other budget carriers have cheaper unlimited everything plans but their phone selection isnt much better than what metro offers and their data speeds arent as fast.

metro's unlimited everything plan is also cheaper than sprint while having faster data. though sprints coverage and phone selection is way better being a major carrier.

tmobile has a $70 prepaid plan where you get unlimited talk and text and 5GB of data a month. if you can stay under 5GB of data and are okay with paying $500 or more for a phone up front(if you want the latest and greatest) it might be something to look into as they have better coverage and faster data speeds.

16. Sniper1087

you guys have to read small print, on those MVNOS abuse of service is not considered unlimited, I have read that simple mobile after 1 gb of data they shut your service down without warning, i am not sure of others but restrictions always apply.

17. THE W

THE W Android Expert

yeah all the "unlimited" plans have that abuse of service fine print with them. people on metro with the unlimited all plan can have their service throttled or shut off if they're suspected of tethering.

18. brian1984

brian1984 Well-Known Member

when u charge this battery u do it with external charger or plugged to the phone?? is your phone or on off??
    my 3500 took 2 hours to get 50% charged from 0 and after total 8 hours it was pm 97%..... It was charged with the phone and turn it on after the blinking lights finished.
    After that i needed to go out so i switch batteries i left the 3500 in the wall charger and after 2 hours when got back home battery was full....
    how do u charge this battery??

19. THE W

THE W Android Expert

Wall charger.

20. robertkoa

robertkoa Android Enthusiast

The W- Thanks for the info- you have some very good Posts about the Connect and Metro in General etc.- excellent, clear source of knowledge.

I guess with Li-ion type batteries- a certain amount of heat is normal depending on the discharge rate of the Battery whether it's a Phone, Computer or Flashlight.

Just a question of staying within reasonable temperature ranges- at least it seems from your Posts and others- the larger capacity batteries for Connect run cooler than the stock battery usually does- right ?

21. THE W

THE W Android Expert

I thought that initially but now I don't know. It seems the temperature gauges don't accurately measure temperature for these extended batteries. I would like to see what people who had issues of the phone given them overheating popup warnings who switched to the extended batteries are experiencing.

22. akikhia

akikhia Android Expert

ya phone stays at that temp with a aftermarket battery. only thing that helped overheating is lg optimizer underclock. with 42 hrs of bat life i just ordered one pf the extended. i used to always get extended but i thought why not just carry spares but 42 hrs is tempting :D

23. Sugarfree661

Sugarfree661 Well-Known Member

Modern Combat 3 gives me a temp warning after running for about 20 min.. I just ordered the 3850 battery should be here Friday let's see if I still get the warning..

24. 4ubest

on my third day with the 3850, I am down to 5% after 17hr 42 minutes and that is with WiFi/4G on all day, web surfing, rhapsody, and playing some games.

25. akikhia

akikhia Android Expert

try tsf shell its a beast on eye candy and smoothness

LG Connect 4G Forum

The LG Connect 4G release date was February 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

February 2012
Release Date
Reviews