1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 3D Apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Brazbit, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Brazbit

Brazbit Newbie
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    It is no big secret that the big selling point of this phone is glasses free 3D and the 3D camera. It is great to have the capability but what good is it without software to back it up? So I have been searching for apps which is complicated since they have been selling "3D" apps long before the Optimus/Thrill and EVO brought proper stereoscopic 3D to Android. So finding the kind of 3D we bought our phones for is tricky.

So far my findings have been limited. But I have found a few that make use of the parallax barrier to give 3D. Here are a few I have downloaded so far:

GAMES:

Balloon Gunner 3D - Free - You are a gunner on a dirigible and you shoot down other dirigibles. Gyroscopic tilt controls on this one which is a poor choice for 3D on these phones as it pulls you out of the sweet spot. Decent for an early effort.

Archer Craft - Free - You are an archer being attacked by monsters and crows. Move the bow and arrow left and right with your finger pull back and release to fire. 3D Layering of 2D graphics presented as a puppet show. Nice look and feel.

Speedx 3D - Paid - There is a free version of this one but it doesn't make use of the 3D display, only the paid version does. Simple graphics, going down a twisting tube avoiding basic geometric shapes. This would be awesome in the 90s, mildly interesting now but made more special with 3D support.

PHOTOS:

Phereo - Free - Share and view 3D images with the community. Not for those worried about retaining copyright or privacy but a nice active community of 3D photographers. As a bonus this is an app for a website that makes the photos available in many 3D formats so your friends may view your 3D photos as anaglyphs or whatever 3D format they choose.

Image Flipper - Free - This one isn't 3D.... but it does make use of the parallax barrier to allow you to flip between two images. An interesting use of the phone's features

OTHER:
    Wikitude 3D - Free - This is a 3D enabled Augmented Reality program that uses your GPS to pinpoint your location and your camera to display 3D tags and such on the world around you. Have yet to use this myself.

SPECIAL MENTION:

LG Smart World - Free - This is an LG app (obviously) that acts as a seperate marketplace. The main advantage is it has a 3D Zone. In the 3D Zone all the apps and videos use the Thrill's 3D display. This is where I found Archercraft and WikiTude 3D. It is also where I found the 3D short Backkom, Bernard, 3D Episode - The Masic boomerang which is a lot like the Outback video that came pre-loaded on the phone, all of those videos can be downloaded again using this app if you somehow deleted them.

Anyway those are what I have tried so far. If you have found any I would like to hear about them.

Advertisement

BigCiX likes this.
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    I'm gonna have to check out that LG smart world. I hope gingerbread comes out before at&t gets the Prime. I really like this phone but the lack of current software is turning my head to another phone. Besides that the Prime has to much benzel just like the iPhone. Still wont stop me from getting it though.

[​IMG]

Brazbit likes this.
  3. Brazbit

Brazbit Newbie
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    Now for some 3D Apps that I have found but have not downloaded yet:

Real Soccer 2011 3D - Paid - This will be the first game I purchase. Real Soccer is not my favorite footy game but after playing PES in 3D on the Nintendo 3DS I can't wait to play soccer in 3D on a larger screen.

N.O.V.A. 2 - Paid - Follow up to the N.O.V.A. game that came pre-installed.

Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus 3D - Paid - A 3D First Person Shooter.

Star Battalion 3D - Paid - 3D space shooter. Multiplayer support.

Dungeon Hunter 2 3D - Paid - 3D Fantasy RPG. Multiplayer support.

Shadow Guardian 3D - Paid - 3rd person action/adventure game. Think Tomb Raider with a male character in 3D.

GT Racing: Motor Academy 3D - Paid - Street Racing Game in 3D.

Assassin's Creed - Altair's Chronicles 3D - Paid - The Assassin's Creed name should tell you most of what you need to know.

Spider-Man: Total Mayhem 3D - Paid - Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man kicking butt and taking names in 3D.

James Cameron's Avatar 3D - Paid - Movie tie-in game. I doubt Jame's Cameron can do for 3D gaming what he did for 3D movies....

Eternal Legacy 3D - Paid - A Japanese style RPG in 3D.

Shrek Cart 3D - Paid - Cart Racing in 3D. Replace Mario and Luigi with Shrek and Donkey.

Fishing Kings 3D - Paid - It's fishing! In 3D! (Hope the punctuation helped it sound exciting)

All of these are by Gameloft. There is a link to them on the phone or they can be found in the Smart World app. Gameloft has made a nice variety of games available in 3D, now we just need more developers to make the jump. Having more than two 3D phones might be required to have any big developer take the plunge. Until then hopefully some of the independent developers will fill the gap until that time comes. Projects like Archercraft and Baloon Gunner give me hope that some will do so. Image Flipper also proves that there are other creative ways to use the technology as well.

4. Brazbit

Brazbit Newbie
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    With limited apps in 3D what else can one do with the 3D on the phone? Well let's look at a couple of the offerings from the built in Apps.

MOVIES:
    This is the most boring looking icon in the 3D applications menu. A grey box with a clapperboad on it. Upon launching it you are presented with a list of movies.
    At first it is easy to wonder why this is listed as 3D but upon closer inspection a few of the films have a red and blue 3D following their description. All of these cost money to rent but even just taking a look at the trailers in 3D can be interesting. At this time the 3D offerings are:
    Mars Needs Moms - PG
    Sanctum - R
    Gnomeo and Juliet - PG
    Jonas Brothers The Concert Experience - G
    Bolt - PG
    Meet The Robinsons - G
    Chicken Little - G

YOUTUBE:
    When you launch YouTube 3D from the 3D Space it takes you to a list of 3D videos. Keep in mind this is just one account's channel, it is not comprehensive.
    YouTube has a 3D tag of YT3D do a search on that to get a feel of what is out there. When you do a search include YT3D in your search and you will often get 3D videos. Look for the round 3D symbol to the right of the description.
    For example "World of Warcraft YT3D" returns many of the cinematics from the game in full 3D as well as gameplay video in 3D. Some of the more fun videos I have come across include complete ridethroughs of theme park rides and a lot of movie trailers.

5. bigscrb15

bigscrb15 Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    I tried to download Lg Smart World but it said my phone wasn't supported... interesting, lol

edit: nevermind, finally found it in the android market. first tried to download from lg's site.

Tags: