1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3D camera focus problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geoid, Aug 15, 2012.

1. geoid

geoid Newbie

Jumping in here, new guy and all, with the typical panic attack over a new smartphone. :D:(:rolleyes:

Got this thing a couple weeks ago and only now realizing there's something wrong with the twin cameras when used for 3D.
    The right side lens won't focus sometimes. First saw it happen in still photos, then video. For anyone with about 20/50 eyesight it's like that on the right side image, and looking normal (whatever that really is) from the left side camera.

I would post examples from a video screenshot and a photo but can't due to being a new member here, sorry.

I had used the camera for pictures and videos several times successfully before seeing this problem a few days ago. Only changes since getting it have been to the settings and returned to defaults.

Posting this to find out if others have had this happen, or so people will check their new EVO V's. It might not be obvious until you view the video/photo on a larger screen. Or do as I did and split the 3D into individual side by side (by conversion or preview). Otherwise the image might only look bad without a specific reason for it.

I have also noticed the 3D left/right pictures often appear to shift up/down in relation to each other instead of only side to side.

And yet another observation, 3D is always overexposed, with highlights more washed out than the same scene done in 2D. Reducing exposure in the settings helps somewhat but at the same time darkens the 2D pictures too much (not good for ease of use between the two!).

Something else to add about that last thing said, I found that if the camera button is half-pressed once, released and half-pressed again it can cause the 3D exposure to correct itself. Not every time though, and never enough to equal the results from the 2D camera.

Thanks for listening (reading).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Nesdroid

Nesdroid Newbie

Something else to add about that last thing said, I found that if the camera button is half-pressed once, released and half-pressed again it can cause the 3D exposure to correct itself. Not every time though, and never enough to equal the results from the 2D camera.

Thanks for listening (reading).[/QUOTE]

have you tried different roms to eliminate software issues?
    if not you might have to return it. That is if 3d is that important to you.

edit: can you view 3d pictures from other sources correctly? how about videos?
    try youtube or this app called phereo 3d

3. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

I've never experienced this issue myself, I would be interested in seeing what you're talking about. Just post your photos to photobucket and then post the links here.

4. geoid

geoid Newbie

Nesdroid, no, only learned about the rom stuff during the past week while learning more about this Evo (3D). :thinking: My first smartphone. :)

And yeah, unfortunately for me the 3D is important. Been doing it a long time, with a film camera during the 1990s before going 'digital', not extensively but more now than ever. Had my eyes on the LG Thrill (Optimus) and HTC Evo 3D (V) ever since they showed up for sale.

I took it back to BBM today and exchanged so I can't check into it anymore. I hadn't even gotten around to trying YouTube 3D vids yet, I'm a little slow to try stuff. I know, I know... I should have been doing everything possible to check this thing out! :eek: Only another couple weeks left of my 30 days to do that with the "new" new one.

Sure hope I have better luck with the other Evo here, had it charging tonight and only know it seems to be okay after a few tests. Won't know for sure until tomorrow night after a thorough outdoor daytime test and a look at the results on the computer. No 3D monitor or TV so it'll all be by separating the images.

Here's a few of those pictures showing the right-side blur, both still image and video screen captures. Also one of the extreme exposure difference of 2D (dark) and 3D (bright). Sorry again, these are too large to insert into message here so linked to them instead.

http://0mniverse.com/public/3D_blurry_right-side.jpg

http://0mniverse.com/public/3D_video_blurry.jpg

http://0mniverse.com/public/3D_video_blurry-2.jpg

http://0mniverse.com/public/2D_3D_exposure-difference.jpg

5. Nesdroid

Nesdroid Newbie

Yea I see what you mean. I too would be annoyed if that happened with my phone.
    Even if I don't use 3d that much :p.
    Hope you have better luck with your new device :)

geoid likes this.
  6. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Yeah the lens obviously wasn't mounted properly, good luck with the new unit.