• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3D or 1GB RAM?

Which one to buy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikhargpt

Lurker
Jan 1, 2012
Well, I'm in Singapore and will be getting a new phone soon. I am going to buy a phone from Singtel, and have narrowed down my choices to the Samsung Galaxy R, and the LG Optimus 3D. I have looked at every facet of each phone and have realized that on paper, the only difference is the offering of 1GB RAM of the Galaxy vs 512MB RAM on the Optimus, compared to 3D capability on the Optimus vs 2D on the Galaxy. I am in favour of the LG, as the 3D appeals to me, and I have had bad experiences with Samsung, but most people recommend the Samsung, without proper explanation. I would like a good argument with the Pros and Cons listed out, not just specs or biased opinions, and if you have anything to advise on each phone (good or bad), please do. And PLEASE don't ask me to consider other phones, my mind is set on these two. Thank you.

Regards,
Shikhar

The difference in ram is so minute, that you can't even notice a difference, especially if you have dual core processing to carry the weight. It is so minute, that it shouldn't even be a factor.

With this in mind, I still would go with the Galaxy, just because I feel that 3D phones haven't been optimized to their full potential. When you can view 3D mode and play the games without feeling like you are doped up or about to pass out, then you should capitalize on it.

Just my 2 cents!

Upvote 0
The change in ram is so small, that you can't even observe a change, especially if you have combined primary running to have the bodyweight. It is so small, that it shouldn't even be a element.

Small? 1GB to 512MB is not small. Its almost double the RAM. This leads to a smoother user experience simply because if you have a lot of stuff running, there won't be a need to wait for the cache to empty out a lot of stuff first, and you can run a lot of things at the same time without issues of reloading and such.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Not meaning to sound rude, but, please define 'a bit'.

Regards,
Shikhar

That will depend on the launcher and apps you are running.

512 MB is plenty for most any task, but as you add more tasks (by switching between various apps for example) your phone will need to start hibernating apps more rapidly than if it had more memory. That can lead to a noticeable lag in response, from when you tapped, scrolled or updated a screen, to when it actually happens.

If you prepare for that and manage how you configure things, it may be negligible. If you plan on running Facebook and twitter constantly in the background, it might be so noticeable as to frustrate you.

Bear in mind that a slice of the ram on the LG, because it uses the OMAP4430 processor, is going to get reserved as graphics memory. The Qualcomm S3 is the same way, but I am not sure which processor that particular Samsung you are looking at uses. Anyway, if you like 3D, the smaller memory will do, but you will want to be careful about how much you can expect to run at once, and still be satisfied.

Reactions: shikhargpt
Upvote 0
That will depend on the launcher and apps you are running.

512 MB is plenty for most any task, but as you add more tasks (by switching between various apps for example) your phone will need to start hibernating apps more rapidly than if it had more memory. That can lead to a noticeable lag in response, from when you tapped, scrolled or updated a screen, to when it actually happens.

If you prepare for that and manage how you configure things, it may be negligible. If you plan on running Facebook and twitter constantly in the background, it might be so noticeable as to frustrate you.

Bear in mind that a slice of the ram on the LG, because it uses the OMAP4430 processor, is going to get reserved as graphics memory. The Qualcomm S3 is the same way, but I am not sure which processor that particular Samsung you are looking at uses. Anyway, if you like 3D, the smaller memory will do, but you will want to be careful about how much you can expect to run at once, and still be satisfied.

Well, I am thinking of replacing the default one with GOLauncher. Also, I will root my phone. Just asking, approximately how many apps can GO and the default (LG) handle simultaneously?

Upvote 0
Okay everyone, thanks for your help. You guys have really helped me in deciding which phone to buy, and I have settled on the Samsung, even though Samsung has come back to bite me in the ass (the Omnia i900). I think Samsung has improved. I used my cousin's Galaxy SII for nearly 3 weeks and am impressed. So, thank you everyone.

Regards,
Shikhar

P.S. Moderator? I think this thread can be locked now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones