1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

3d scanning app/scanning assistant

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ace42588, May 4, 2012.

1. ace42588

ace42588 Lurker
    None

May 4, 2012
    My request is for an application that would create 3d models either directly on a phone or help gather sufficient data to generate the model on a PC. An example of the end functionality that I want can be seen at: insight3d(dot)sourceforge(dot)net

Using several images, a point cloud is generated that can be turned into a polygonal 3d model. I am not concerned about textures. The end output file should be .stl (Standard Tessellation Language). I understand the processing requirements for such an application would be very high, however, I believe the latest generation of mid to high-end phones are nearing the power requirements. If not, thats where the helper app would come in.

Desired features:
    -Capture photos of macro (building size) or micro (soda can and smaller) objects
    -Scale reference in view finder
    -Object orientation reference (see Camera3D in the Android market)
    -Previous image overlay in view finder (Camera3D)
    -Auto create a folder that contains the photos generated for one object. The goal for this is to simplify transfer to a PC
    -Render models, that canbe saved in an stl format, from photos (see insigh3d on sourceforge and netfabb for PC and Android)
    -Warning to indicate when there is insufficient data or blindspots for the model
    -Object detection (I imagine this might simplify the generation of the model, or provide better accuracy. In essence, the app user would draw a box around the object they wish to model in each photo they take.)
    -Ability to scale models post render
    -It may be of benefit to gather accelerometer and gyroscope data (where available) to give relative location data for each photo. If there is enough resolution from GPS (specific location) and/or the above sensors (relative location) then a significant amount of math for determining camera perspective could be dropped.

As the 3D printer community continues to grow, an app (or apps) with a feature set similar to the above could stand to be extremely profitable.

EDIT:
    insight3d is open source.
    Trimensional 3D scanner for the iphone has essentially the correct functionality

EDIT 2:
    Also see Objectify in the Android Marker

Advertisement