• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3DS Emulator?

strat1227

Jun 25, 2011
A just-for-fun type discussion

Do you think a 3ds emulator on the 3vo will ever happen? I have seen an android-based 3ds emulator, but as of now it doesn't do any 3d and wasn't designed with the 3vo in mind.

My main question is whether the hardware could handle rendering full-scale real-time 3d graphics on something up to par with the 3ds. Gameloft's 3d games are rather low graphics, the 3ds is somewhat impressive

I think after full root/unlock happens and the devs are looking for something to do, it would be a pretty cool project, I'm just not sure it's at all possible

it's definitely not qHD. way worse.

*edit* 800x240 for the N3DS screen. Evo 3D is 960x540. In 3D mode, divide the larger number by 2.

and i did get a BT mouse paired with my Evo 3D, which means the Wiimote likely pairs with the phone.

On the Evo 4G, you needed CyanogenMod to get BT HID devices to pair.

Reactions: strat1227
Upvote 0
and i did get a BT mouse paired with my Evo 3D, which means the Wiimote likely pairs with the phone.

On the Evo 4G, you needed CyanogenMod to get BT HID devices to pair.

i just tried to pair a wiimote to the evo 3d, doesn't seem to work :( i know that htc devices have never been able to pair with wiimotes in the past, but thought maybe there would be a chance with the evo 3d because it's new. has anyone else been able to pair a wiimote?

Upvote 0
How hard would it be to make a 3ds emulator for this phone that actually supports the 3d effects? Would that even be possible? :thinking:

I am not sure if this is ok to discuss, it implies pirating software

It does, doesn't it? You would definitely need Nintendo's cooperation.

It depends on the approach. If you're emulating a piece of hardware by purely reverse engineering it, it's perfectly legal. There are projects out there to emulate iOS. Progress is VERY slow, but it's being attempted. And Apple can't do anything about it. Not that they have anything to worry about given the progress.

Upvote 0
I am not sure if this is ok to discuss, it implies pirating software

It does indeed. There are no Nintendo emulators allowed by Nintendo. Well, Bob is not an expert so perhaps they released one on their own. I do not think they have.

I can tell you this: Nintendo is an angry company. They are not amused by the emergence of these applications and pirated ROMs.

So yes, if we are discussing things like where to get ROMs or perhaps which emulator to use, it would be like discussing where to download cracked Android apps. I'll let you all decide if that is acceptable. If you use a Nintendo Emulator, it is a given that you also use stolen IP. No way to spin that fact.

I think the Mods would stop the discussion thread about pirated Android Apps just as they should close any thread that tells us where to find ROMs.

| Nintendo - Corporate Information | Legal Information (Copyrights, Emulators, ROMs, etc.)

Upvote 0
It depends on the approach. If you're emulating a piece of hardware by purely reverse engineering it, it's perfectly legal. There are projects out there to emulate iOS. Progress is VERY slow, but it's being attempted. And Apple can't do anything about it. Not that they have anything to worry about given the progress.

I occasionally run Dreamboard and there are themes that can make my iPad look like an Android tablet. It is actually quite cool and it drives the Apple fanboys a tad nutty trying to figure out how one can "run Android" on their iPad. It is just the look and feel with no Android functionality. You can also use a Vista theme, a Windows Phone, and others.

Upvote 0
if we are discussing things like where to get ROMs [...] it would be like discussing where to download cracked Android apps.

Yes, obtaining 3DS ROMs and commercial Android apps that you didn't purchase are roughly equivalent. However:

Bob Maxey said:
or perhaps which emulator to use

No -- these are rather different. Discussion what it would take for the 3VO hardware to emulate 3DS hardware has nothing to do with ROMs.

A separate question might be whether or not there's a legal way to play, for example, 3DS cartridges you purchased (i.e. using the carts directly, not copying them). It's simpler with something like a PS1, where the original game format is a CD and can be read directly using a computer, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for a 3DS cart.

Nowhere on that page do they say emulators are illegal, or even that they infringe copyright. Every answer reads like "emulators play pirated games, and pirated games are illegal". The only thing they say about emulators is that they "hurt Nintendo's goodwill" and causes "damages".

(Of course, it's the moderators' decision, as you say, but I don't like the idea that discussion of hardware capabilities should be equated with copyright infringement.)

Upvote 0
Yeah emulators are entirely legal. Only when you download software (games and what-have-you) does it become illegal. But building software that imitates (emulates) another machine is perfectly legal

I agree, they are not illegal. That said, if I use a Nintendo emulator, I must feed it and that act is illegal. We are arguing minor issues and semantics that matter very little. Those that use them do so in an illegal manner. they largely exist specifically for playing illegal content.

Upvote 0
if I use a Nintendo emulator, I must feed it and that act is illegal

That's just it -- it CAN be illegal, but it's not necessarily. Playing something you don't own, but downloaded from the internet, of course that's illegal. But developing homebrew can be legal. Playing a game you own without copying it to your hard drive can be legal. There are real, non-infringing uses of emulators, just like there are real, legal uses of crowbars and guns. (Discussion of whether copying and copying devices can be legal is going to take us even farther off topic, as it varies by country and depends on encryption and the DMCA in the US.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones