1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3G Battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ChrisCatch22, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ChrisCatch22

ChrisCatch22 Lurker

Hey everyone. This has probably been asked already, so if someone can help me out please point me in the right direction

I have an upgrade and love using the Nexus, but obviously i hear battery sucks. Also i understand that it sucks due to the kernel and the OS running hot when it really shouldn't (assuming a software fix is in the works, but one can only hope)

ANYWAY that's irrelevant to my questions. If i get this phone, I plan on barely using the 4G because it doesn't interest me and I now how much of a damper on battery life it can be. And i know that you can switch it to 3G by going to networks etc etc

What I haven't seen is anyone posting how their battery has been using 3G and nothing else for a full day. So that's my question: If any of you have used this device consistently with 3G only, what kind of battery life are you getting?

Again, if this has been answered, please point me in the right direction. Thanks a bunch

trophynuts likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

3g only I get about 20hrs with moderate use.

silkchaos likes this.
  3. greenless

greenless Well-Known Member

Do you own a hi-def TV that you only play VHS tapes on?

dyno likes this.
  4. ChrisCatch22

ChrisCatch22 Lurker

Because I need 4G speeds all the time when 3G is perfectly adequate. Where has my logic gone?

Look, I'm coming from an iPhone 4 where a battery lasts all day, and I'm completely fine with 3G speeds and wanted to know how much better the battery life is (I initially know they would be better obviously, but not by how much.)

And also thank you Dubbin that helps

5. silkchaos

silkchaos Member

Thanks for Asking this Crhis - I wanted to know as well. I live in an area with no 3g.

6. schimm

schimm Android Enthusiast

13 Hours for me (extended battery) with light to moderate use and I keep it on CDMA all the time. When I turn it on LTE/CDMA the signal strength plummets. I've done all the battery saving measures on these pages and my Droid X still trounces this thing in battery life. If you want this one I recommend you buy it from a place that you feel comfortable returning it. My phone will be returned if an OTA doesn't fix the problem before my return period expires. Love ice cream sandwhich (see how nice I am to the newbie as I coulda said ICS :) ) and the phone overall but seeing the battery life tick down at a rapid rate while in use ain't gonna be happenin'.

7. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

3G only here as well, I get anywhere from about 8 to 13 hours on average every day depending on how much Pandora I run that day, and if I am on WiFi at work/home.

Obviously things can affect it, like the brightness settings, time-outs, sync schedule, etc. I guess it depends on how often you plan on charging, and how you had previous experience with your other phones. It isn't going to be a 2-day straight with moderate use between charges. But for what the phone is capable of, I'm more than satisfied getting what I do out of mine each day.

8. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert

Some people only have 3G in their area or the 4G and/or the 4G isn't very reliable.

trophynuts likes this.
  9. streetfish

streetfish Well-Known Member

ive done some testing with only 3g on, battery life still doesn't seem that good but def better than 4g.. i have everything else syncing/on as I normally would. expect half the battery life as your iphone 4 (i just changed over too)

10. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

OP this is a great question and i usually requests that some people volunteer to test a new 4G phone out as only a 3G phone for these purposes. FWIW i also rarely run 4G so i average about 10 to 13 hours on a charge with my usage. Everyone's usage varies but that is what i get and i'm ok with that. These days we all have chargers everywhere.

11. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert

I'm on 3G only, 4G hasn't made it here yet.

12. dyerk18

dyerk18 Newbie

I think this is a great question. I don't use 4G unless I'm watching netflix or something. No need to get super fast internet speeds when I'm checking email or googling. On 21 hrs of battery, 12% left - 1st half of usage = 3g on during day, 2nd half = turned wifi on at night. Haven't charged yet and going strong.

13. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert

I'm at 12 hours 40 minutes at 47% battery left using only 3G in the ABSOLUTE WORST signal area ever. Granted this is light use, but I can bet most of you will never see signal this bad (consistently <100dbm and yes, that's CDMA signal strength not LTE), so I'm pretty happy with it. It's outdone my Inc, Eris, and Continuum by leaps and bounds in the same area.

14. smesx

smesx Newbie

Im at 83% after 6h 13m mainly on WIFI at work, no 4g in the area (extended battery). Light use, mainly checking emails and gtalk/texting. Only installed a few apps, no games or video today. 50-60% screen brightness. Battery life is very good if you are on WIFI. I havnt had to test out a full day on 3g, maybe I should.

15. defrankjs

defrankjs Newbie

I've got roughly similar results, a little worse than that. However, I also connect to wifi when I'm at home which helps a ton.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews