1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

3G BBC radio streaming in the UK

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beastman, Jun 8, 2010.

1. beastman

beastman Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Bit of general this but as its the Desire that I'm looking to get (on either O2 or Voda) I'd thought this would be a good place to ask these questions.

1. I am looking to use the phone to listen to radio (radio 5 and maybe radio 1 and 2 as well) and send the sound wirelessly to suitable bluetooth headphones - I assume this is perfectly possible?

2. Assuming the above is ok what sort of data bandwidth would I use up per hour. I was looking at maybe 100 hrs a month - is that realistic on a 1GB cap?

3. How reliable is 3G is walking around generally - is it consistent generally or does it drop out alot?

thanks

Advertisement

2. pspbricker

pspbricker Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I'm in Sweden, and use "Radiotime" to listen to BBC radio, Talksport and more. I found Radiosport to be one of the few apps able to stream UK stations, and I'd say drop out occurs once an hour. Either It reconnects, or I have to close the app and reopen it, but I have the same issue with various streaming programs on my ipod touch.
    I also use a Jabra bluetooth "dogtag" (with some juicy Koss earbuds) and I have no problem connecting (A2DP stereo).
    As for bandwidth, it depends on the quality of the stream - look for the Kbps figure and then do the maths!
    The whole process (connecting via 3G/Wifi and bluetooth A2DP is quite battery hungry though, and is likely to drain the battery quite quickly - 4-5 hours?

beastman likes this.
  3. beastman

beastman Member

Jun 8, 2010
    thanks for the info - I have worked out that radio at around 12 kb per second works out at 432MB for 100 hours so I'd guess I be ok.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Its a shame the fm radio doesn't have a built in antenna really. Have to use wired headphones to act as this.

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    12kbps = 1.5KB/s
    1.5KB/s = 90KB/m = 5400KB/h
    5400KB/h = 5.27MB/h = 527MB/100h

I think...

6. philipch

philipch New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I've given up with the built in fm radio on the desire. It takes ages to start up; it takes ages to switch off, and if you take out the antennae too soon it freezes and does all sorts of silly things, often needing a re-boot. Orange told me - it may be just a yarn I've no expertise - the sensitive touch-screen interferes with the fm. It's a pity as it was one of the reasons I chose the desire rather than the se xperia x10.

However there's an alternative - at a cost - which I find excellent: the se blue tooth hands free, which comes with built in fm radio. It's the MW600. I paid about

tanchoboy likes this.
Tags: