• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3g being phased out

Dave Estam

Jan 11, 2016
Hi all, wonder if someone can set me straight with what is happening. I have a S4 mini (SPH-L520) Android ver 4.4.2.and has selected for my network mode LTE/CDMA/EVDO Reading about the S4 mini says it's 4g complaint and sprint/t-mobile is explaining 3g will be discontinued at year end and is hounding me to buy a new phone. My question is am I going to forced to give up my phone or is this just a sales pick to sell phones. I live in Detroit Michigan and cant really get straight answer from anyone from sprint, easier to say buy a new phone buy not really ready to give the mini up which I like a lot. Thanks for any suggestions.

Upvote 0
Interesting. From your link I'm assuming my wife an I will be ok till June 2022 using our Sprint’s 4G LTE network. We are also in our mid 70's and going to hate to change from something that works. Thanks...
The good news is that you have Samsungs, and it is pretty easy to move from one Samsung to another, so hopefully your transition will be mostly painless. The user interface will have evolved some, but you should be able to easily transfer all your contacts, messages, etc.

Upvote 0
From your link I'm assuming my wife an I will be ok till June 2022 using our Sprint’s 4G LTE network.
June is when the Sprint 4G LTE network will be turned off, but if your phone doesn't support VoLTE that means it uses the 3G network for calls and texts. Sprint 3G will be gone by March according to that article.

I'd recommend you start looking for replacement phones soon so you can find a phone you like at a good price before March. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones