1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 3G Connectivity Instability. [Urgent]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Denavar, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Denavar

Denavar Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Hello there! For the last two months I've been having a problem with my 3G connection but only now have had the time and need to sit down and really look into it.

The problem: When I turn off my WiFi and connect to 3G, it seems to connect fine but the internet is VERY unstable. The 3G/H icon will appear and stay in the notification bar fine, however the internet will only stay connected for 5 minutes MAX and then drop out for extended periods of time.

It comes and goes as it pleases and I don't see a pattern of any sort. My net will work fine for 5 minutes at random, then drop out for up to a few hours and then randomly work again for 5 minutes for no reason at all. The internet is also very slow when it does work.

The up arrow on the 3G Icon illuminates whenever I try to access an app that uses the web or open a browser, but the down arrow rarely ever illuminates and if it does, it's only for a brief second.

I'm using a rooted DHD running Android Revolution 5.2.3 ROM with Vodafone Australia.

I have thus far tried flashing different radios, but this changed nothing.
    I've also ensured that my APN settings are configured according to my carrier.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be the cause of my problems? This is driving me absolutely mental and I need an urgent fix for some upcoming events.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Is it at all locations, or one specific place? It's obviously dependant on signal strength.

If you input the code *#*#4636#*#*, select Phone Information and then based on this XDA post chenge your preferred network type, what gives you the most stability?

3. Denavar

Denavar Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    It's at pretty much all locations I've been to in a 20km radius.

However after reading that post, I don't understand it too well and I'm not sure what I should be changing my preferred network type to.

Edit: I played around and changed the preferred network type to GSM only and it does seem a lot more stable, but it still freezes still when trying to load anything other than google.com and I don't seem to be able to get ANY apps working with it, even when the browser is working. But even then, the internet is so slow it's unusable.

I noticed that when I have GSM preferred selected and run a ping test, the three tests pass, yet when I have it set to WDCMA preferred, they only pass sometimes. Also, the network type changes between HSPDA and UMTS every 4-10 seconds when set to WDCMA preferred.

Does that help at all?

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Try GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). That looks as if it will be the best for you. It will flit between whichever it can get the best signal from, 2G/3G.

Do you have an app that could be controlling your mobile data settings (Jice Defender/Green Power etc).

Clutching at straws, but if you look in the Wireless & Networks setting, is Always on Mobile Data Enabled?

As a last resort, you could try a factory reset?

5. Denavar

Denavar Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Hey there! I tried out GSM only today while I was in the heart of the city and while the speeds were very slow, I only dropped out once or twice and it was only for a few seconds, so it's definitely more stable.

I'll give GSM/CDMA (auto PRL) a try when I go out today and see how it goes.

I have however already factory reset, reflashed radio and ROM multiple times. I also have no such apps.

Thank you very much for your help and support thus far! :)