• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G Data Connectivity Issues

Ok, I read the thread and have tried everything that was recommended. I have been on VM tech support 3 times. First 2 times were total waste of time. They couldnt get past the ##virgin# service program MDN ok MSID ok then wait 4 hours and nothing. Finally got past that wall of ignorance and got senior tech support. WOW, 50 minutes on the phone and his best idea was to just reset the phone. ?? how many times? after it did not working he said, "glad I could help you today please call back if you continue to have issues". He didnt fix anything. Whats next should I just return the phone and get another one? Should my MDN # and MSID # be the same #? Mine are not. Or does this not matter. Also, all 3 tech support people said, "I havent heard of this problem before" ?? Really? Really? Ok, whats next please jump in with your best guess. Thanks in advance.......

Upvote 0
Ok, I read the thread and have tried everything that was recommended. I have been on VM tech support 3 times. First 2 times were total waste of time. They couldnt get past the ##virgin# service program MDN ok MSID ok then wait 4 hours and nothing. Finally got past that wall of ignorance and got senior tech support. WOW, 50 minutes on the phone and his best idea was to just reset the phone. ?? how many times? after it did not working he said, "glad I could help you today please call back if you continue to have issues". He didnt fix anything. Whats next should I just return the phone and get another one? Should my MDN # and MSID # be the same #? Mine are not. Or does this not matter. Also, all 3 tech support people said, "I havent heard of this problem before" ?? Really? Really? Ok, whats next please jump in with your best guess. Thanks in advance.......

You need to get them to file an actual Trouble Ticket with engineering escalation. Ask them to do that...ugh. It should not be this difficult...that's why I call VM "Sprint Lite"...and not in a good way on support.

Upvote 0
Adian80. I am going through this same senerio with my optimus. VM customer service is indeed a joke and I too will return my phone to Best
Buy and go with another carrier. I have made dozens of calls to their
customer service and have yet talked to anyone who could follow my conversation and I could not understand them either. Its the worst customer service I have ever encountered in my 65 years of life on this planet. Good luck.

Reactions: aidan80
Upvote 0
If you have repeated problems like the ones referred to here, the best/only way to get them resolved, usually, is to specifically ask for a trouble ticket to be opened with engineering support. That will get senior tech to reset your phone within the network, which usually deals with these issues successfully.

I call VM phone support "Sprint Lite", which from long time experience with Sprint isn't a good thing.

Reactions: EKRChicago
Upvote 0
Thanks for the response "sprint lite" is correct lol never in my life have I had to deal with such horrible support. I mean they make the cable company look good lol. Last time I called they said they had opened up a ticket and requested escalation. Honestly I don't believe that! Service with Vm was great till I had to call support. I'll call again and demand to speak with senior support/engineering. I'd hate to have to change phones but these idiots are forcing a paying customer out the door.

Upvote 0
You can Google "Virgin Mobile escalation" and find several numbers online. They change the # frequently so you have to find the right # that works. But when I did this, I was able to talk to a live person in CA instead of overseas who was very friendly, knew his s#@%, and fixed my data problem right there and then at 8PM on a Sunday night.

Yes, the service on the regular VM support # sucks. I have no problem with foreign accents usually, but there was one rep I simply could not understand and no one I spoke with could give anything other than a canned response. But this is the way it is with many companies nowadays and I've found that Google is my friend in such cases. The trick is getting to the right person, and persistence pays off in any consumer relations situation IME.

Upvote 0
You need to get them to file an actual Trouble Ticket with engineering escalation. Ask them to do that...ugh. It should not be this difficult...that's why I call VM "Sprint Lite"...and not in a good way on support.

The "dot, not feather" I talked to this morning said he could not file a ticket until after we trouble shot the phone first. didn't feel like doing something I had been doing all morning plus i was at work. Gonna try to find that US #. I let ya'll know if I have any luck.

Upvote 0
You can Google "Virgin Mobile escalation" and find several numbers online. They change the # frequently so you have to find the right # that works. But when I did this, I was able to talk to a live person in CA instead of overseas who was very friendly, knew his s#@%, and fixed my data problem right there and then at 8PM on a Sunday night.

Yes, the service on the regular VM support # sucks. I have no problem with foreign accents usually, but there was one rep I simply could not understand and no one I spoke with could give anything other than a canned response. But this is the way it is with many companies nowadays and I've found that Google is my friend in such cases. The trick is getting to the right person, and persistence pays off in any consumer relations situation IME.

Thanks I acquired a number for tech support and talked to a real live person. Issuee was corrected by removing battery while they restarted my month. Lets see how long it lasts. After this my next phone won't be virgin or on sprint. Terrible support as a whole terrible company.

Upvote 0
The "dot, not feather" I talked to this morning said he could not file a ticket until after we trouble shot the phone first. didn't feel like doing something I had been doing all morning plus i was at work. Gonna try to find that US #. I let ya'll know if I have any luck.

tried like 4 numbers. Notta so far. There are some fluent english speaking advisers of sorts on vm's facebook page. shot them an email. called india one more time about shooting thru that ticket. No go. . .

Upvote 0
VM executive escalation dept 1-866-553-9810 just found it and called it will let you know asap

How'd you do joe? Got transfered once to the cute sounding young lady. She gave the spiel about her foreign cohort not putting me the 3g plan. Did the battery thing. . . . . . Flirted with her a little and got her to start a trouble shoot ticket. We'll see what happens. . .

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem as well. I've been told that their was an engineering issue with the 3G network programming and this phone. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it a cross the board fix or a per account occurrence.

It took me 4 days of phone calls and about 5 hours on the phone to finally resolve this issue. But after the last time I spoke with them, they asked me to turn off-on the phone and wait four hours to see if it worked. Within the hour my 3G had finally worked!

What country were the people you talked to in? Just curious.

Upvote 0
omg..they fixed my problem! the phone works. It was the month plan optimus data will only work if you have the 25 40 or 60 unlimited plan. She told me to logon to my account and change my plan to one of the above and boom it now works. How easy is that. I am still in shock that it was just a plan thing.

I wish it was that easy for me. Got 3 more hours to wait. Any bets on it still doesn't work?

Upvote 0
Just activated my new Optimus today (by phone since I was moving my number from Verizon) and same problem.... no 3G. After reading the thread here I tried the Activation button... no good fail every time.
Then I went to settings to try turning off Data and turn it back on.... guess what? 3G was TURNED OFF by default. Turned it on... instant success.

Go to settings guys and make sure 3G is ON!

Reactions: TVCCS
Upvote 0
Just activated my new Optimus today (by phone since I was moving my number from Verizon) and same problem.... no 3G. After reading the thread here I tried the Activation button... no good fail every time.
Then I went to settings to try turning off Data and turn it back on.... guess what? 3G was TURNED OFF by default. Turned it on... instant success.

Go to settings guys and make sure 3G is ON!

how are you able to access this setting? I've been thru the settings menu a dozen time and can't find this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones