1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root 3G data issues when rooted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dageyra, Apr 9, 2011.

1. dageyra

dageyra Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Hello all, I'm very new to android, just upgraded to the HTC Evo 4G with Sprint last week. I quickly realized sense was not for me and wanted to try out a new rom, so I rooted. I used this process (unrevoked3) to root:

Complete guide: How to root, backup, and flash new ROM and kernel on your HTC EVO

I went with CM7 as my ROM and I like it. I definitely would stick with it, but about a day after the root, I noticed data speeds stuck at 1X (I believe they were always at 1X, I just always used wi-fi). Now, I understand this is common, but I've tried many steps to resolve the problem based on a day and a half of searching forums. I setup the rom, fresh, as a sense-based backup to perform the troubleshooting steps:

- I updated the profile and PRL
    - I used the ##3282# trick to change the data type to automatic instead of CDMA.

Neither of these helped. As a baseline, I used speedtest.net mobile app to test speeds using the same server closest to me. In CM7, which said it was using 1X, I was getting less than 100k on average; in fresh, which said it was using 3G, I was getting the same, never over 100-120k.

So, thinking that this problem was specific to my phone, I made my way through the unroot process outlined here:

[How To] Unroot and return to stock [RUU Method] - Android Forums

This worked for me and I got back to a factory state. I expected speedtest to tell me the same, but it did not! I now get speeds (from the same server) nearing 1mb and the phone says I'm using 3G. Using this suggestion, I did see an increase in my 3G speed using the factory ROM:

(Fix) Downloads for Music apps and faster 3G - xda-developers

This is a big issue for me. On one hand, I want to be using CM7, I got used to it, but on the other hand, we do not have 4G here so 3G is all I get for the extra $10/month. I simply cannot use CM7 and 1X, the 3G has to work. As such, I'd like to find a way to fix the 3G in CM7 knowing that it works fine in the factory state. With free data roaming on sprint, I basically have 3G coverage everywhere around me, but I also live in the center of a large sprint 3G area.

I don't know what the 3G speeds were before rooting because I only used it a day or two before I rooted, always using wi-fi. It's possible the process of unrooting fixed the issue and going back to CM7 would be better, but I can't assume this and am asking for assistance. I know everyone seems to say that the root process does not have an effect on data speeds, but my experience appears to contradict this. I'm hoping there's something I can do (or maybe did wrong), so I'm reaching out here. I tried posting at the XDA forums, they tell me because I'm new or not a developer, I'm not good enough to post a request for help on their forums. I feel that my problem is different from others because I can get valid 3G speeds using the factory non-rooted rom but any rooted roms appear to be providing 1X speeds. I was not able to find any forum topics similar to this, but would be willing to look at any suggestions others have.

Thanks in advance for your help, I hope I can return to CM 7 soon.

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    When you did the streaming and 3g did you follow my method or just the proxy part?

dageyra likes this.
  3. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    My phone got stuck in 1x once. I've only heard of it happening a few times. I was unwilling to unroot. I grabbed an app called easy settings to check my status and an app called 2g/3g cdma switch. It was the only thing that ever got me back to 3g. Somehow the phone had gotten stuck internally and we can't access that menu without root and that app. It was a buck. Not saying that was your issue but it sound similar

Mr. Ed likes this.
  4. dageyra

dageyra Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I apologize but I'm not sure which method specifically @Mr. Ed you are asking for, but if it is the topic regarding Rhapsody and the like, I only found this after unrooting the device. I was looking for differences in root and non-root data speeds and found a post that linked to that page. I followed the instructions to open the ##3282#, which I had used before to change CDMA mode per another suggestions, and modified the specified data. That gave me a further increase in the unrooted phone. Was that the method you were questioning about?

@evomattnc, thanks for that suggestion, that is certainly something I haven't looked into. I would prefer to have a way to manage as much of the data usage as possible and that sounds useful in that regard. However, I would like to find out more about those options to determine if it would be worth the time to get back to a rooted device (even if other sense ROMs would work, I could stay rooted, but the back and forth without rom manager is very time-consuming). I'm going to look into them individually, do you happen to have any more information on how the internal selector gets stuck, or whatever it may be? Is there a test or anything, perhaps if easy settings is available on non-root?

Again, thanks everyone and please excuse my lack of understanding, I'm still learning a lot of this.

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

I don't know I actually had a thread on this and the dev that made roam control dropped in and pointed that out. Said he saw it happen once or twice and we couldn't change that menu normally but pointed me to that app. I'll link my thread in a second.

6. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/303315-3g-not-working-help.html

Sense roms won't tell you whether you are on 1x or 3g that's why I had to get easy settings. Aosp roms are a little more accurate with signal display and differentiate between 3g and 1x.

dageyra likes this.
  7. longshot

longshot Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2010
    I used the ##3282# trick to change the data type to automatic instead of CDMA.

Did do this in the C7 Mod?? I could not get the ##3282# to work on C6.

8. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The ##3282# is a function of sense based roms, It's not available on AOSP.

You have to nandroid back to a sense rom, perform said function and nandroid back to AOSP.

9. longshot

None

Mar 26, 2010
    It wont work tried it few times. Doesnt save the settings when you nandroid back to C6. When I nanroid back to sense rom the settings are still there and speed is back to norm.

10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    See the link in my signature about 3g speeds

11. dageyra

dageyra Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    I had not seen those instructions in that specific order. I had tried some of it but can give it a go with those instructions specifically. The plan would be re-root with CM7 & fresh, use fresh rom to follow those instructions and see if 3G returns via speedtest in fresh and signal indicator in CM7?

I hope I can also use the apps suggested by @evomattnc, 2g/3g switcher and easy settings from within root as the problem he was describing here is very simliar. I was not able to get 2g/3g switcher working in the non-rooted, it just opened the standard mobile network settings page which does not have anything about 2g/3g control (the roaming selection opens remain only with sprint only or automatic).

12. longshot

None

Mar 26, 2010
    Mr. Ed on the page where you say "Rooted ASOP: results may vary but some have had success restoring a sense backup, and then going back to ASOP. Don't wipe."

I tried installing C6 without wiping the Sense Rom and all it does is show the blue android on the skateboard and moving graphics around it just like it does when it loads normal then it goes off then same graphic comes back up and just keeps doing this over and over. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

13. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

Installing cm? You should have flashed it and made a nandroid of it. Then went to a sense rom, do your fixes then RESTORE your aosp back up. Flashing without a wipe is almost guaranteed to fail. A restore of a back up is a different process where it overwrites your data and a wipe isn't always really necessary though usually suggested unless doing a fix like this.

14. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    That is a bootloop....are you installing or restoring a nandroid. There is a difference and the steps only work if your using nandroid.

15. longshot

None

Mar 26, 2010

I was using a stock phone and rooted it following these steps.

The Droid Demos Forum • View topic - How to Root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2

with

Amon_RA's recovery included

Once everything was up and running well and did the http proxy fix I did a Nandroid backup of it in case of messing it up. Wiped the data then installed CM6 and messed with it a little then did a Nandroid backup up of C6 so I could go back and forth with the 2 as I please. Later I did a Nandroid recovery of the Sense Rom and let it boot all the way then shut the phone off and restart it into recovery and did a Nandroid recovery of C6 without wiping my previous data and that is when it does the bootloop. If I wipe the previous data C6 loads fine. I never wipe the data before recovring the sense rom though and it works ok.

Thanks for you help!

16. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    Well it depends on what you backed up with amon ra, it wont overwrite something if it doesnt have the img to overwrite it with and hence may be causing your issues. You should probably wipe cache and dalvik then restore and see if that works.

The default on amon ra doesnt include cache in a back up so maybe you didnt back it and it wasnt restoring it so cachepart was remaining. my suggestion still stands though whether you backed it up or not.

longshot likes this.
  17. longshot

None

Mar 26, 2010
    You know I was thinking about that myself but that was one thing that I didnt try yet. I will try this and see what happens. Thank you! Oh also I am sorry that I pretty much hijacked the thread on you.

So just a Nanroid restore of the rooted sense then see if the http proxy is set where I want it. Then clear the cache and dalvik (what is dalvik?) and then do a Nanroid restore of C6? What would be your recommendation of the order of things.

18. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

Sounds good. I didn't even realize who I was talking too changed lol. Dalvik is a cache partition, its basically app cache. To wipe it on clockwork it's under advanced on amon ra it's under wipe.

19. longshot

None

Mar 26, 2010
    It did do the C6 recovery ok just wiping the cache and Dalvik, but 3G speed still slow as heck. I am in no means a developer but wouldn’t you think they would have a way to let you change the settings yourself. I thought the whole thing of a different rom was too change factory settings to your liking. What are the default settings that they use or do they not use a proxy? Wonder if maybe trying C7 would change things if they set them different. Curious what kind of 3G speeds anyone else gets. On the sense rom I could actually stream Netflix via PS3 no problem it would stutter a few times now lucky if the menu even comes up. The reason I am so picky about the speeds I have no other alternative to high speed internet besides the satellite and what a joke that is.

20. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

You may want to consider a diff prl then, I'll give ya a link later super busy now

21. dageyra

dageyra Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    I'm glad the thread helped someone else too, kinda strange. However, good news is that when I re-rooted, the 3G single remained. I then used rom manager to restore a backed up copy of my CM7, all my settings and apps returned and it now shows 3G in the status bar. Thanks a lot both of you, I think it was following Ed's instructions specifically (and not updating PRL which I had been doing repeatedly per other instructions). I'm very happy to play some crono using my classic controller!

22. longshot

None

Mar 26, 2010
    I know that me and my wife both had the same problem hers is not rooted mine is. Whatever the PRL was before 60677, Which is what we both have. Thanks again!

23. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

I didn't mean sprint I meant vzw

24. longshot

None

Mar 26, 2010
    Funny thing now is....When I go back to sense rom data speeds are crappy and the http proxy settings are still the same. So, crappy speeds C6 rom or the sense rom. I tried my wife’s phone and the same on it is bone stock phone. This morning checked speeds with the speed net app (I know it is kind of off somewhat) well before it would read .3 - .2 every time and now it reads .7 up to 1.5 and checking at the speakeasy site I am getting anywhere from .78 to 1 on it so sounds like they can’t keep up with the congestion later in the evening or there is a tower issue, which is unlikely since I check 2 different areas that are around 35 miles apart from one another. The likelihood of me running off the same tower is slim.

Tags: