1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 3G Data Issues!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jjtitus, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jjtitus

jjtitus Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    I've had an issue with my 3G data turning off lately, even though data was turned on (power bar). No matter what I open (mail, browser, etc.) I can't get 3G data back until I pull the battery and restart the phone. The 3G icon doesn't even show along the top status bar. When I turn Wi-fi on from the power bar, I have data again but still no 3G...

My dad has a Bionic too, and he has had the same issue with the data turning off during the day and he's also had problems with the phone not taking calls as well. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having these issues, and if you've found a way to fix it other than pulling the battery?

Advertisement

2. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    It seems as though some Bionics have this issue. It is reported that, if you put the phone in Airplane Mode and then return it to normal, it solves the problem until the next data drop. VZW has this listed as a fix in the upcoming (November) update. My phone does not have this issue so I can't tell you whether the Airplane Mode trick works or not, but it is certainly worth a try. Taking the battery out of these phones is a PITA.

BigRedGonzo

jjtitus likes this.
  3. jjtitus

jjtitus Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks for the info, I'll give airplane mode a try when it happens again... and I'll cross my fingers that VZW fixes the real issue with the Nov update. It sucks when you don't get txts/email/other updates until hours later because you didn't notice that the 3G was gone...

I agree, pulling the battery is a pain, my fingers are killing me!

4. tmc

tmc Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    CA
    I bought my Bionic on release day and never had this problem until just a few days ago. It's done it several times now, and airplane mode has not worked even once. Usually rebooting works, but a couple times now it's required a battery pull.

5. galpdawg

galpdawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Jersey
    called and complained to VZW they said there is a fix coming in early nov, but who knows if it will end up being late nov. TEch support then said to pull battery and sim card and then put it back in after 15 seconds. not sure what this will do. Only other thing they offered me was a droid charge. what crap

6. bxtzd3

bxtzd3 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    att does this allot. they replace the sim card to resolve connection issues.

7. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    I've noticed some data issues too in the last couple of days but so has my wife's Droid Incredible 2. Maybe it's a Verizon issue.

8. tnstra

tnstra Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Material Relocation Engineer (Truck Driver)
    Upstate New York
    I got a Bionic on day 1 and had this problem. When tech support told me a fix would be coming in early Nov I just shook my head and thought here we go again. I returned the phone within the 14 day period for a credit, less of course the $35 restocking fee, which, customer service eventually credited to my bill.

I was reading an unscientific poll last night in which Bionic owners were asked to vote on wether they did or did not have a data radio issue with the Bionic.

Of the total 306 votes
    252 had experienced a data radio problem.

That, my friends, is not to my way of thinking, a SMALL problem.

AND after a lot of digging around the "internets" ..... I've seen it suggested that there is not a data radio chip that combines 1x, 3g, and 4g that does not have some down clutching / up clutching problems.

I don't know that we have seen the end of this problem with 4G/LTE phones but I'm no expert.

I'm gonna give the HD/Razr or whatever this weeks name a try and see if its better when it comes out.

Tom

9. dtodd

dtodd Newbie
    None

May 11, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    Same recent problem. I know it's on the big fix list, so not fretting. My bionic was great when I bought it, although I factory reset last week just to see if it would fix a few lingering problems. But for the past couple of days I too have the 3G disabling which requires a reboot (airplane mode on off won't work). Just weird that it just started happening recently.

10. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    You I just noticed its almost Oct 20. I wonder if the Lte expansion has anything to do worth the recent data issues.

11. billspreston01

None

Oct 30, 2009
    I was having the same issue dropping 3g last week. I did a factory reset and set the battery to performance mode and I haven't had the issue in a few days. For what it's worth...

12. RedSunshine

RedSunshine Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Mine does this daily and it seems to be getting worse. From the day one, I had issues at work (I'm in a Verizon optimized building - whatever that means). I never had these issues with my Droid X (I had other annoying issues!). Sometimes if I toggle between Airplane mode, it fixes itself, but now I have to do a battery pull and still it doesn't always work.

I'm not waiting around to see if the upgrade fixes it. I am actually going to give the iPhone a shot and see how I like it. If that doesn't meet my expectations, I hope the Nexus Prime will be out.

13. mamawm

mamawm Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    i'm just curious, are any of you using go launcher. i installed it thursday and started having this problem for the first time. i unstalled go launcher and now everything seems to be back to normal with no further data connection problems. this is just my unscientific observation.

14. Tangolima600

Tangolima600 Newbie
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    Getting data issues too. When going from wifi to 3g data wont come on until you go into airplane mode and just recently I was getting half a bar of service and no data where I should be getting more so I rebooted the phone and I was getting full service and data. Something software wise has to be the cause.

15. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Happens a lot here. 3 and 4g go dead. Fabulous!

16. dtodd

dtodd Newbie
    None

May 11, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    Wow, making the iphone leap for this bug, good luck (and I mean that in a nice way). What's weird with the problem is that it happens at the same time daily for me, right around 2 or 3pm central time. I'm flummoxed to whether this could be a network problem or phone bug. Welp, my region will be getting 4g in Nov (just bought ext battery in preparation) so I'm hoping that this problem will be over with in a month

17. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Left for the weekend. Had 4g while in LA county. 3g in Ventura county and zero data service after that. I could make phone calls only. My wifes fascinate worked perfectly. Got 4g the moment I pulled back in the driveway at home on the bionic. What a pos! Takes the mobile out of mobile phone.

18. shorterporter

shorterporter Lurker
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    Just dial *228 and press send. You will get an instant screen message, press ok. Your cell signal will stop and come back in 2 seconds and the 3G logo will appear in blue again. It takes about 8 seconds total. Sometimes if your in a low signal area it takes two tries to work, but it has always worked for me.

Malcaver49, Thom and xiteg79 like this.
  19. xiteg79

xiteg79 Member
    None

May 19, 2011
    South FLorida
    good idea! i will try that next time it happens. which it will happen. :mad:

20. welbinator

welbinator Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    if you have a charger handy, you might consider this as a temporary fix until the update. for my phone anyways, the 3G only drops after my phone has fallen asleep. If I set my display to never turn off I don't lose 3G. obviously this drains the battery pretty good so you wanna keep it plugged in.

Also, usually if I do lose 3G and I wake my phone up soon enough after losing it, the 3G will come back on it's own after a few seconds. But I only notice it in time if I'm listening to Pandora and the music suddenly stops. Otherwise it's usually too late and I have to restart the phone. (airplane mode rarely works for me)

also, why are you people constantly pulling the battery? just turning the phone off then on again works for me, battery pull seems un-necessary.

21. xiteg79

xiteg79 Member
    None

May 19, 2011
    South FLorida
    @welbinator
    I do agree that it seems to happen when the phone goes to sleep. Though last night it did not happen but happens most during the day. random times during the day.

I also agree that pulling the battery does not help much. just shutting the phone off and turning it back on should do the trick. most of the time airplane switch works or if I give it a few extra seconds after airplane.

I will try the *228 thing today to see if it works. because I know I will lose 3g/4g data sometime today.

22. bxtzd3

bxtzd3 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    So i was in a small fender bender today,, nothing serious, but i called 911. After i had no data. The fixes didnt help. I had to do a bat pull to regain it. A little pissed