• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3g data problems

pakman134

Apr 28, 2010
Hey all,

I'm having intermittent 3g problems with my Thunderbolt. I am in a 3g only area that worked find with my Droid Incredible, but it seems every once in a while it disconnects and won't let me sync anything or connect and load a page on the mobile web. At times the 3g symbol will show i'm connected, but still nothing loads. After a reboot everything seems to get fixed, but this has happened a few times.

Another question. Is the 3g supposed to turn on and off if it is not syncing or accessing data? My emails seem to push fine, but on my status bar sometimes it shows that I'm not connected to 3g. This is of course a separate issue as to the one that i mentioned in the first paragraph. I remember on some past verizon phones this was normal to conserve battery life or something like that... Is this the same case for the TB?

I am not sure if it is my phone or not since it seems to work 90% of the time. And the 3g status symbol not showing at times does not seem to be a big issue either. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback on whether others are experiencing similar issues.

My wife and Buddy are both day-1 purchasers of the Thunderbolt. Both of them have had this issue. Generally, it's wifi-related. Going from our house, to work, my wife obviously loses the wifi connection we have at home. Unfortunately, 3g doesn't kick back on until she disables wifi. Same thing has happened with my buddy at his house. I'm not sure the rhyme or reason, but disabling wifi seems to fix it.

For what it's worth, my Incredible does not behave this way. Perhaps something to do with the 4G chipset? We're not in a 4G area yet, so that was my thought, but have no data backing it up.

Upvote 0
My wife and Buddy are both day-1 purchasers of the Thunderbolt. Both of them have had this issue. Generally, it's wifi-related. Going from our house, to work, my wife obviously loses the wifi connection we have at home. Unfortunately, 3g doesn't kick back on until she disables wifi. Same thing has happened with my buddy at his house. I'm not sure the rhyme or reason, but disabling wifi seems to fix it.

For what it's worth, my Incredible does not behave this way. Perhaps something to do with the 4G chipset? We're not in a 4G area yet, so that was my thought, but have no data backing it up.

Hm.. I have had the issue occur even without using the wifi.

I can't seem to force it to happen, and it is very sporadic. It was acting up on me earlier this morning, I rebooted, and it has been fine for the past several hours. It has probably only happened 3-4 times over the past week that i've owned the phone. Although it does seem to be a rare occurrence, it is extremely annoying when my email doesn't get pushed to my phone only to find 20 unread messages when I check on my computer.

I remember having a similar issue with my HTC Incredible after one of the updates, and a replacement phone ended up fixing it. My phone is so perfect in every other way that I'd hate to end up with a replacement that has another defect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones