1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 3g dips on calls then comes back after

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bxtzd3, Oct 6, 2011.

1. bxtzd3

bxtzd3 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    ok , when i am on a call i loose 2-3 bars of strength . as soon as i hang up it shoots right back to full blue lines and 3g. any one else having this issue. this is not the same as the other 3g issue i feel.

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    Hmm. Well, for one thing, the same radio that gives 3G data also handles voice and text messaging (which does not use the 3G EVDO), and you cannot have 3G data and talk on the phone at the same time. So it's quite normal to not see 3G while you are on a phone call. (Note that LTE can still be active while on a call.) It could be that the signal for the CDMA signal used by voice is not as strong as the signal for EVDO data, though I am not sure about that. You will probably also see this when you receive and send a text message - the phone will temporarily drop 3G while it is fetching or sending the message.

Bars are not a great measure for signal anyway - it's best to go by settings->about phone->status and look at signal strength in dBm. Anything greater than -90 is a good signal. (In other words, the more negative, the worse the signal is; -100 is worse than -80 - much worse, in fact.)

3. bxtzd3

bxtzd3 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    ok thanks. the reason i ask is it is strange to see full "signal" off the phone and 1 bar while on a call. dont loose quality though. so lets see what the update brings.