1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips 3G Dongle A500 UK

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cheese_aholic, Aug 22, 2011.

1. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Anyone out there know if I can use a prepay USB 3G dongle with my Iconia A500 model?
    I'm based in the UK.

Advertisement

2. andy d

andy d Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    UK
    No reason for it not to work.

3. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Really? I did not know this. I'll check it out - if this is actually possible, it would be an excellent thing!

4. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    No reason, other than most dongles are designed to work with windows, and I don't know if they'll work with Android...
    Anyone actually tried this...??

5. tmoney645

tmoney645 Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2011
    I have not tried this personaly, but I am almost certain it will not work. These dongles require software to be installed in order to work, and this software is not compatible with android. What you need is a mobile hotspot that broadcasts a wireless network.

6. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    That's kind of what I thought; hence hoping someone had tried it and could verify one way or t'other...
    I'm getting a work supplied dongle in the near future so will give it a go and report back...

7. kristalsoldier

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Well, as of today two things happened. My workplace offered to pay my monthly 3G bills, which means I can tether the tab to my phone and not worry about my data charges; and, two a friend of mine lent me his 3G USB dongle and I tried it with the tab. It did not work. The network provider is India specific. As one poster suspected above, I also think it is a question of drivers. But now I guess I won't need the dongle as I can keep the tab semi-permanently tethered to my phone...though I may need a second battery to keep on hand!

8. Flashrat

Flashrat Newbie
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Registered Nurse & Farmer
    South Australia
    I have only just bought the ACER A500 (couple of days ago) and have not actually tried anything other than it's wifi, but I also have a Superpad 2/Flytouch 3 tab.

I did run across a post in the Flytouch 3 forum area that says they have successfully used a Huawei E1750 dongle.

9. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Pretty much as I would expect, I bought a prepaid WiFi dongle, works a treat.

Pete

10. kristalsoldier

None

Jul 6, 2011
    So you are saying that a prepaid dongle works. But why wifi dongle? Or did you mean a dongle with a data connection via a sim card or equivalent?

11. kenji57

kenji57 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    N/A
    Most usb dongles will work with Linux even if the installation software is windows, so there's probably no reason why they couldn't be made to work with Android.
    I think that's what andy d meant, but that's not the same as just plug them in and they work unless Android supports that, which doesn't seem to be the case.

12. Mikkopentti

Mikkopentti Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    I tried my 3g dongle (Huawei) on my tablet and it did not work. However it is able to fizzle it to work, but you'll loose your update option for your honeycomb if I remember right. I can't remember where I saw the guide to do it.

I will personally wait for official support or such for 3g dongles. Would be great though. One option is to get a 3g router, put your dongle in it and share it's connection to your tablet. then connect your tablet to the router via WLAN. Sounds funny though since then your 3g router will probably be connected to your tablet's USB to get power (if not battery) :D

13. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    As per comments above, my USB dongle (on the 3 network) DOES NOT WORK.
    However, as I have so many devices that would benefit from a WiFi connection (laptop / iphone / ipod / A500 etc) I have invested a few bob on a MiFi dongle from 3. This offers a wireless hotspot wherever I am and up to 5 devices can connect to it at any one time.
    Sorted!
    And praise so far for 3 network coverage; blows my iPhone on O2 out of the water...
    Happy cheese!!
    :D

14. chismay

chismay Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    ASSISTANT HEAD CHEF
    LONDON
    if you have an android phone on 3g you can setup tethering and connect your a500 to your phone as a modem, and use the 3g connection.

15. cheese_aholic

cheese_aholic Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Yeah, that works just as well. I have an iPhone however, and aside from being on O2 which (in my opinion) has awful 3G coverage, it doesn't half suck the battery life. My WiFi dongle on 3 has better coverage and lasts for a few days on a full charge.
    Horses for courses, as it's another device to carry round and charge up etc...