• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G EVO + Verizon = When?

ScubaCA

Jul 29, 2010
I have searched and searched to find if a 3G only EVO or another non-4G version of the EVO will be released on Verizon? Does Anybody know? What are they calling it? Does it even exist? When will they release it?

I like the Droid X but I don't want all that Motorola Blur crap that they tend to throw on, plus I really like the front facing camera on the EVO.

I am coming from a Blackberry (because they suck) so I am new to the Android thing and lookin' for some help.

Maybe they'll build a CDMA flavor of the Galaxy S for VZW. I see AT&T is now bragging that it's coming to AT&T.

<edit>Yup, it's coming:</edit>

From http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20008968-251.html

'Samsung Fascinate for Verizon: The Fascinate is Verizon's first Android phone from Samsung. As with most of the Galaxy S models, Samsung powers the smartphone with a 1GHz Hummingbird processor, and it will have a 5-megapixel camera with HD video capture and it will launch with Android version 2.1. Like the Epic, the Fascinate also has a 4-inch Super AMOLED display; however, the Fascinate will be a touch-only device with the option of a regular virtual keyboard or Swype. In addition, the smartphone has a six-axis sensor--as does the Epic--that works with the built-in accelerometer for a better gaming experience.
It's not clear whether Samsung will include a video store app on the Fascinate, but the phone supports a number of video codecs, including DivX. The Fascinate supports DLNA, so you can wirelessly share content with DLNA-compliant devices such as HDTVs and game consoles. As with the Epic, the Fascinate can be used as a mobile hot spot for up to five devices. The Epic has 2GB of internal memory and supports up to 32GB microSD cards--and it's packaged with a 16GB microSD card. Verizon apps for its usual services, such as V Cast Music and Video, VZ Navigator and Visual Voicemail, are all available on the Fascinate as well. However, neither Samsung nor Verizon have released information about the phone's pricing or availability date. '

Upvote 0
The Evo is exclusively Sprints. Verizon will not get it even if it were to come in 3G only. Just like the Droid is exclusive to Verizon.

Sprint wont let go of this phone. For the first time in 3 years they have seen an increase in subscribers and should see an increase in profit.

As for the Moto Blur, i will agree its a Blah UI. Sense is nice. But whats really nice is you can change the UI to ADW or LauncherPro. Thats with any android phone. So no need to be locked into one UI like those Crapple people.

As much as i like Sense i prefer the look and feel of LauncherPro.

And to be honest, i have used the FFC once. Just to test it out. If you plan on using QIK or Skype or Fring then the FFC may come in handy, but there really is no big use for it.

Upvote 0
I have searched and searched to find if a 3G only EVO or another non-4G version of the EVO will be released on Verizon? Does Anybody know? What are they calling it? Does it even exist? When will they release it?

I like the Droid X but I don't want all that Motorola Blur crap that they tend to throw on, plus I really like the front facing camera on the EVO.

I am coming from a Blackberry (because they suck) so I am new to the Android thing and lookin' for some help.

Verizon had it before Sprint in a slightly smaller pkg. Its called Incredible.

Upvote 0
Look around the Droid X forum and you'll see that people are not finding the version of Blur on the Droid X to be that bad while others are having success with using ADW or LauncherPro.

How do you envision using the front facing camera? Unless you just like looking at yourself, until there are enough people with a front facing camera and any phone on any carrier can video call or video chat with any other phone on any other carrier, the FFC seems of limited use. And by the time that happens it will probably all be so last year that the cool kids will be wanting phones that don't have a front facing camera. Also, apparently front facing cameras have been available outside the US for some time and most responses I've seen indicate that they've never really caught on. I'm interested to see how the FFC goes in the US. I have a feeling that either every smartphone will soon have it or those that do will be wondering why.

The Fascinate is coming at some point in the future but no front facing camera and TouchWiz, so no apparent advantage there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones