• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G Hotspot Charges?

Interested in this topic because getting my kids some Ipod Touches for Christmas (yeah, I know Apple...please don't flame me, that is what they wanted :D )

Anyways, sad that there is not a easy solution for this yet like all those years I used PDANet for tethering my laptop to my different smartphones and never had to pay Verizon's ridiculous extra fees for using my data connection with my laptop.

Easier than the TBH hack?

:thinking:

If you dont want to hack it then you can always get the widget that turns the cell radio off/on. This works easily.

Or do it manually with the *#*#4636#*#* menu.

Upvote 0
No reason to buy the TBH app you can get the hack here in their thread. But yes, you need to be rooted to apply the patch

Also, easyswitch from the market can toggle data connection. I don't see how airplane mode would work since it toggles the wifi as well. Festerw, have you tried airplane mode with the hack?

They also have a method for doing that without being rooted. Its mentioned on past pages 3 & 4 of that thread. I've done it. Downloaded a piece of software and the Motorola drivers - connected it to my pc and followed the instructions in the pictures. Works very well.

Upvote 0
There is an easy hack. Turn on 3g hotspot, then go into settings, data manager, data delivery, toggle off and on data enabled, and voila, 3g hotspot service.
This one still works for me. The easyswitch app has been buggy, so i dont use it anymore. Sometimes when I use it, it throttles back download speeds to less than 200 kbs, and keeps it that low even after turning 3g hotspot off. You have to power off and on phone to get normal speeds again. So I use the method above instead and the speeds dont throttle down.

Upvote 0
turn on the hotspot, then go into settings, Data Manager, Data Delivery, uncheck Data enabled and count to 10, recheck Data enabled.

you now have a wireless hotspot.

The 10 count is the key part of the step. If I don't give enough time before turning data back on, then i get the VZW page.

It works great. Just took a 10 hour trip. X in my car dock navigating, 3 kids in the back surfing on their computers and iTouch via my hot spot with no issues.

Upvote 0
I'm kinda surprised that guides are helping with this somewhat unethical hack for hotspot functionality without paying. Am I alone in feeling that this is unethical?

no, it was a very big debate in earlier threads when it was first "released" so-to-say
a lot of people feel it is unethical
a lot of people feel they are paying for unlimited data plans and will use the data however they feel like
I'm in the boat of I dont use it very often at all unless I need to for a second or two (but I use wireless tether for root now that it supports infrastructure mode which does the exact same thing)
do I think its right? no, not really... but if I dont do it much im ok with it... the people that use the crap out of it though (I think one person reported 16gigs of data in one month which is insane) I think need to pony up the extra 20 bucks... I mean really... its 20 bucks
but thats just my personal opinion, and like they say opinions are like assh*les... everyone has one and they all stink :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm kinda surprised that guides are helping with this somewhat unethical hack for hotspot functionality without paying. Am I alone in feeling that this is unethical?

Here is an example. Say for instance you bought a tv that displayed HD in only 720p, but a higher model of that same brand could display 1080p. You find a code on the internet that could unlock your tv to display 1080p. Question, would you unlock you tv, and if you did, would you then write a check to the manufacturer since you basically entered a hacked code that allowed you to get more out of your tv then what you paid for?

Upvote 0
Here is an example. Say for instance you bought a tv that displayed HD in only 720p, but a higher model of that same brand could display 1080p. You find a code on the internet that could unlock your tv to display 1080p. Question, would you unlock you tv, and if you did, would you then write a check to the manufacturer since you basically entered a hacked code that allowed you to get more out of your tv then what you paid for?

except you are specifically hacking a VERIZON APP....
your example would work better if this discussion was about using the wireless tether for root users app, but its not, its about using the verizon loaded 3g hotspot app
its more like the old black box in cable days... "I have a cable box, I pay for my cable, but im gonna use a black box and get a different type of cable that I normally wouldnt get unless I paid for it, because im still paying for my cable either way"
until recently wireless tether for root users did not support infrastructure mode which was the only reason I ever used the 3g hotspot hack (if I ever had to connect another android device ie my girlfriends nook) other than that I only used the wireless tether app. and I have less of an issue using the wireless tether app then i do with hacking the verizon app

Upvote 0
except you are specifically hacking a VERIZON APP....
your example would work better if this discussion was about using the wireless tether for root users app, but its not, its about using the verizon loaded 3g hotspot app
its more like the old black box in cable days... "I have a cable box, I pay for my cable, but im gonna use a black box and get a different type of cable that I normally wouldnt get unless I paid for it, because im still paying for my cable either way"
until recently wireless tether for root users did not support infrastructure mode which was the only reason I ever used the 3g hotspot hack (if I ever had to connect another android device ie my girlfriends nook) other than that I only used the wireless tether app. and I have less of an issue using the wireless tether app then i do with hacking the verizon app

Is it hacking, if you turn data off and on, which can be done without a hack, and then 3G works for free?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones