• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G internet connection problem!

wengyew90

Mar 16, 2012
Hi all,

Lately I have been facing problem with my 3G internet connection as it will switch off on its own occasionally (3G icon disappear) and will only switch on after 30 seconds or so. I'm not using any data toggle by the way. I believe it is not the problem of the carrier network as my sibling's 3G has no problem at all. Does anyone have any idea about the problem? Thanks a lot

You still have the signal bars yes?

Currently I myself am going through a related problem but my whole connection goes, every 1-2 minutes no joke.

Someone once posted on here about a latency/timeout setting for the 3G/H in the engineer menu, if someone has that bookmarked or something that'd be fab, I can't find it.
wengyew this setting can keep the connection active for longer and may fix the rpboelm.

Upvote 0
Do you have any power saving app in your phone? Like Juice Defender? Any recently downloaded apps? You using the power saving mode of the phone? Maybe check those settings and see if they can interfere with data connection.

Nope, I don't have any power saving apps nor activated any. I'm currently on GB2.3.6 and the apps I downloaded lately don't really interfere my data connection in terms of permission requirement. Just that previously I was using widgetsoid to toggle my data and coincidently, that was the period when I stopped using it lately that my problem started. I have cleared the widgetsoid permission as administrator and uninstalled it besides deleting any leftover data files

Upvote 0
I've been looking into this and it seems there is a problem with the S2 and certain networks, some problem with juggling 3G, H and H+, having that 3rd internet variety just blows it's mind, but there may be a way to fix it by flashing a different modem file.

Slight alternative - Dial *#301279# and choose Change HSPA revision, then experiment by choosing one of the options, the 3rd option [HSDPA/HSUPA] is the default I believe, but yeah you choose an option, then menu key>Select>(leave blank) and press ok, you'll get an error that breaks the connection, ok that and after a few secs the connection comes back.

HSPA off leaves you with 3G, and HSDPA Only should give 3G and H, but not H+, but after a while H+ came up for me anyway.

Here is a huge thread about this: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1714413

Just before halfway down there's a guy called inoblivion claiming that firmware KF3 fixed this issue for him, I might experiment with just using it's modem file when I can be bothered.

Reactions: wengyew90
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones