• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G not connecting, rare signal (mostly Emergency only) and my provider displayed as @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey guys I'm new to Androidforums so I do apologise if I'm asking something with an obvious answer here! :p

I'm a massive phone geek have been for years, but this is trouncing me. Cut a long story short I was already on Orange, 6 months into a renewed contract with my old Galaxy S i9000 when I got fed up, bought a SIM free, unlocked HTC One X from Amazon brand new. Turned up today but fired up with the Vodafone splash screen! I received a new micro SIM from Orange a week or two ago in preparation for a new phone. I followed the process of a SIM swap and told them my IMEI number which they confirmed on their system that my phone was still unlocked and were confident everything would work fine. Anyway my phone pretty much doesn't get signal (haven't left the house though) anywhere whereas it used to get full signal always and H/3G everywhere too..... :( It doesn't say "Orange/T-mobile" or even "EE" as my network provider, it says
"EE
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@" :thinking:
And my internet hasn't worked at all and I've only from time to time found minimum signal where I can confirm that texts and calls did work. However it refuses to connect to a network provider when I go to Mobile Network settings, always coming up with errors or saying try again later.
I've tried everything, been to Orange and added new internet and MMS APN's manually which I did catch a tiny bit of Edge or E signal with eventually but otherwise it's absolutely sucked today. Made my phone completely unusable, only been contacting people on WiFi. I've got a long trip tomorrow afternoon and will need it to work. Any ideas what this @@@@@ is about and how I can resolve my issue?
Also Orange micro SIM + Vodafone does seem to semi work!? haha
Sorry for the ultra long message, thank you massively for reading at all!

Welcome to the forum, Gibbon.

I have had issues of my One X dropping signal but it turned out to be my network provider's fault; however, yours seems to be a hardware issue but I am not too sure of that so don't take my word for it.

Can you please provide what firmware your device is running? And whether there are any 3rd party applications that may be messing with the network?

Upvote 0
Since orange changed to EE I have the same EE@@@@@@ issue,but no signal loss problem

Orange on Twitter said that doing a reset would fix it,it didn't although improved my battery consumption by 50%

Have now asked to try a different SIM which I've not managed to do as yet
But hopefully it's just another issue with SIM

My original SIM would not swap between tmobile & orange which I had to get changed and now this problem

Maybe look at swapping your SIM or trying another as well

Upvote 0
Once again, welcome to the forums!

I think, as others pointed out above, that getting a new/different SIM might help to solve your problem. My HOX had a bunch of issues where it would lose service (although when I lost service it would sometimes also say I did not have a SIM card in the tray, but sometimes I would just lose service). Visiting my carrier store and switching to a different SIM card solved the issue for me.

Upvote 0
You were getting an average of 20 hours already!? That's impressive let alone 34! Are you not a regular user? Or do you make a massive effort to power save across all your applications and settings? And I think it was H+ perhaps I was confused. Can't test it for a while because I live in the country so I won't get H+ out here anyway! Next time I'm in a city I'll check. I'm on Orange/ EE in the UK. Baring in mind I got the phone brand new a couple of days ago, updated to Jelly Bean now, is it worth me resetting it for better battery? As it's practically new anyway?

Upvote 0
You were getting an average of 20 hours already!? That's impressive let alone 34! Are you not a regular user? Or do you make a massive effort to power save across all your applications and settings? And I think it was H+ perhaps I was confused. Can't test it for a while because I live in the country so I won't get H+ out here anyway! Next time I'm in a city I'll check. I'm on Orange/ EE in the UK. Baring in mind I got the phone brand new a couple of days ago, updated to Jelly Bean now, is it worth me resetting it for better battery? As it's practically new anyway?

It could be, or battery life could be dependent on how strong your network signal is. I know you said you are out in the country. How good a network signal do you have? For me personally I tend to not see more than 2 or 3 bars on mine and my battery lasts about 12 hours before I need to recharge. I think probably the biggest factor on battery life for these phones is network signal strength.

Upvote 0
Like I said I was lucky to get 20, 16 was probably my average day

Gsam is still showing average 1d5h even now
Am fairly careful and always on WiFi at home

Have just tried wife's orange SIM in mine and it comes up EE
Mine in her dare I say iPhone and it shows EE
But still comes up EE@@@@....in mine,

my SIM is a black orange with wireless technology and a large contact area
Wife's is a white orange SIM with a normal size contact area,may have something to do with it!

Upvote 0
Like I said I was lucky to get 20, 16 was probably my average day

Gsam is still showing average 1d5h even now
Am fairly careful and always on WiFi at home

Have just tried wife's orange SIM in mine and it comes up EE
Mine in her dare I say iPhone and it shows EE
But still comes up EE@@@@....in mine,

my SIM is a black orange with wireless technology and a large contact area
Wife's is a white orange SIM with a normal size contact area,may have something to do with it!

Looks like i'm back down to 21H now and not changed anything paticular, good while it lasted (not long)
maybe i'll try "Power Saver Mode on" for a few charges (if i can bare it)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones