1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support 3G not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Zelbinian, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Zelbinian

Zelbinian Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Hey there.

I got a brand new, unlocked Samsung Galaxy about a week and a half ago. I had two immediate problems with the phone:

1. No Market
    2. 3G didn't seem to be working

I fixed the lack of Market problem by upgrading to the H7 firmware. I was hoping this would also fix the 2nd problem, but it hasn't. I've also tried getting a new SIM card from AT&T, and this hasn't seemed to work either.

Obviously I may end up having to call Samsung USA at some point and request a fix, but not only might that mean I have to live without the phone for a long time, I have no idea if Samsung USA will even want to help me since I bought it 3rd-party unlocked and it isn't even officially in the states yet.

So if anyone has some ideas, that'd be appreciated. :) (And yes, the "Use only 2g networks" setting is unchecked)

Advertisement

2. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Hi Zembilian,

have you tried to setup your APN settings? I understand that when you say you've no 3G, you mean data HSPA and not just UMTS coverage, am I right?
    Menu -> Settings -> Wireless -> Mobile Networks -> APN

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
  4. Zelbinian

Zelbinian Member

Sep 16, 2009
    @Rastaman-FB: I live in Seattle, and the 3G doesn't work anywhere, so I'd be amazed if that was it. Also, the phone is quad band.

@bitxboi: I have not tried that, mostly because I do not know how. :)

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    AT&T in alot of areas including seattle according to google use 850 and 1900 making it incompattible with the current i7500 double check with AT&T

if they do support the frequencies that are used buy the galaxy then get the apn settings from at&t
    go to menu>settings>wireless>Mobile networks>Access point names
    and enter the gprs/3g apn details there

6. Zelbinian

Zelbinian Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Ahh. When I looked up the specifications for the phone originally (when I was deciding whether to buy it), what I found was these frequencies:

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

I was like, ok, awesome. Quad-band, works everywhere.

In response to your contention that this wasn't true, I looked at specifications on a few different websites until I finally found one that is more detailed:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 / 1700

Damnit. So I guess I'm screwed, unless I'm lucky enough for T-Mobile to broadcast 3G on different frequencies. Anyway, thanks for the help.