• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G off, wi-fi on?

Robsia

Lurker
Oct 28, 2011
I have just bought the Samsung Galaxy Apollo i5800 for my daughter.

I want her to be able to connect to our home wi-fi network when at home, and any other free ones she can find, but not have the 3G kick in, as her SIM is a very cheap rolling monthly contract with no data plan.

We connected to the home wi-fi no problem, but after a while I looked at the phone and saw that it said 3G - she was still at home and surfing happily, thinking she was on wi-fi.

Now I'm worried she will be racking up a huge bill without knowing it.

How can I turn 3G off?

Well, I've downloaded KIES but when I try to upgrade it, it just errors. I bought it second hand from CEX, although they do offer a one year warranty - I'm not sure it would go as far as upgrading the software for me.

I'm worried now - I checked her usage and she racked up 61p in the first day - it doesn't sound like much, but I'm not paying

Upvote 0
If you go into the Mobile Network Settings, click on the APN, and then scroll all the way to the bottom of those settings - you should be able to find an option that has MMS, Internet, or Internet & MMS. (I'm sorry that I can't remember what it's called, I've upgraded to 2.2!) If you switch to MMS (ie not an Internet option), it turns off all the 3G connectivity but leaves the wifi intact.

However, on mine it also stopped me receiving MMS too. Only an occasional annoyance as most people I know put their photos up to FB rather than send them by text.

If you want to manually upgrade to Froyo 2.2, the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum are very good. I'm a phone tech numptie, and the instructions worked for me!

Upvote 0
Thank you so much!! I would never have looked down there! Hopefully that will solve everything.

Hopefully I will figure out how to upgrade soon. We weren't using the Samsung-provided cable as it didn't come with one - we were using a Nokia one that my dh had which was the right size. It should have worked, but maybe that was the problem.

I only say that as my daughter has an MP3 player and we HAVE to use the cable that came with it to charge it; he tried another one the same size and it did nothing. But as soon as we swapped it for the proper one - it charged!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones