• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G on Samsung Admire Here is the 3022.prl

Sorry i'm really new too this stuff but...

I downloaded QPST and i have my phone connected to my computer but it doesn't show up

one of the instructions say "opened Device Manager and expanded the Ports icon" where is the Device Manager??

I'm so lost i really want to do this to my phone but i don't get any of this tech talk, can someone simplify it down, please?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the instructions.

I'm in Melbourne, FL and am getting 3G. usually 1-3 bars, and some occasional 1x.

I have had an issue since doing this modification that maybe once a day I need to reset my phone because it doesn't want to get back on to the data network with metropcs (the bars will be full but grey, so I can talk etc) Aside from that the 3G is a noticeable difference.

Upvote 0
What PRL are you using? and yes 1x blowws
Edit:sorry I didn't read the title, you probably don't have 3g yet since they are just now setting it up. By the end of the year most of the dark purple will have 3g :)
BTW 3g isn't crazy fast in most places at this time because it is still capped at a low speed for the time being

Upvote 0
As previously stated I have PRL 3019, and *228 won't give me anything higher. I'm going down south in 2 days where the dark purple definitely exists. I want to try and have 3G near my house though. Supposedly I don't live too far from a Metro tower.

Calling *228 wont get u any higher then prl3019. I'm in Sacramento CA n I didn't have to update by calling *228 it just updated it self since my area has 3g coverage. I have a sister from las vegas that bought a phone in sac but kept her Vegas phone number but wasn't able to get 3g which was at prl3018. I had her dial *228 but only got to 3019. I thought since she was in sac her phone shoulda updated itself like mines did. So I had to use Qpst to flash prl3020 on her phone to get 3g working. After I got 3g to work I tried flashing prl3022 but it rook her back to 1x. So b4 u try prl3022 or 3023, try flashing prl3020 first.
Oh and also to be able to use qpst u need ur spc number to unlock your phone b4 u can do anything. I hope this helps helped out. If not just be patient and wait XD

Upvote 0
Well, I have a rooted phone. On last Sunday 10-01-11 I updated my PRL version from 3018 to 3019 dialing *228 option 5 at the voice prompt from MetroPCS "programming". It updated my phone to 3019 but on Sunday and Monday I still have 1x signal. Today I went to work in Miami Gardens area Dade County Florida and to my surprise a I was getting 3G everywhere except when I got to a friend's home (Little Havana) that do not have good MetroPCS signal reception (about one bar) and it changed to 1x inside his home but back to 3G outside his home. I checked my phone status (about phone menu) and another surprise my phone was updated to 3023 alone (I did not updated myself). What happened? I do not know but seems to me that MetroPCS is updating the PRL on the phones now.

Upvote 0
Well, I have a rooted phone. On last Sunday 10-01-11 I updated my PRL version from 3018 to 3019 dialing *228 option 5 at the voice prompt from MetroPCS "programming". It updated my phone to 3019 but on Sunday and Monday I still have 1x signal. Today I went to work in Miami Gardens area Dade County Florida and to my surprise a I was getting 3G everywhere except when I got to a friend's home (Little Havana) that do not have good MetroPCS signal reception (about one bar) and it changed to 1x inside his home but back to 3G outside his home. I checked my phone status (about phone menu) and another surprise my phone was updated to 3023 alone (I did not updated myself). What happened? I do not know but seems to me that MetroPCS is updating the PRL on the phones now.

Upvote 0
I learned why QPST listed my phone number incorrectly. It was showing the phones' "MIN Number" I'm going to go look at the PRL flashing tutorial and give it another go. Also on xDA Developers is a few tweaks for improving Network, Speed and Battery Life - so I'm gonna try those too. Wish me luck that I don't brick my wonderful Admire.

I just flashed PRL 3023. I didn't get 3G. Now I'm just trying to decide if I should try 3022, 3021, 3020 , etc. or just leave it as is.

EDIT #2: Phone is switching between 2G (1X) and 3G constantly while sitting downstairs. Will try seeing how much it stays or fluctuates tomorrow.

EDIT #3: Tested 3022, not finding 3G anywhere in West Michigan. Reverting back to 3023 or possibly upgrading to 3024 if a release is posted.

Upvote 0
COM* i need my com number i dont know what a cim number is and those are the directions i followed
I apologize, I did not read your post thoroughly. I have no idea what a CIM number is either! :)

Ok, to get your COM Port Number I will walk you through it. I will assume you are on Win 7 but this will work on Win XP too.

Win 7:
1. Set your Admire to Diagnostic Mode by going into Settings >> Applications >> Development >> USB Debugging on your phone.
2. Install the USB Drivers from Samsung and ensure your phone is plugged in and fully detected by your PC before continuing. Samsung
3. Click Start >> Right Click Computer >> Click Properties (On XP, right click on My Computer >> Click Properties)
4. Click Device Manager
4. Scroll Down until you see Ports or Communication Ports (COM and LPT).
5. Expand the list by clicking the + and find the listing for your Samsung Phone. This is named various things, but for me it mentioned Samsung on Windows 7.
6. Look on the right side of the list for the COM port list like this (COM4).

This is the COM port you use in QPST.

Upvote 0
Prl here in Fortlauderdale went to 3023 OTA (Over The Air)
~~~~~~
Something Interesting!
I Noticed that when my bars Went Up,
my -dBm signal strength # Went Down.(menu/settings/about phone/status... scroll down to signal strength)
and visa versa
I assumed the higher number(-101 dBm)meant a better signal.
then here Cellumap Cellular Coverage Maps I hovered over the (information circle)above the Signal Strength button
and saw a chart that showed different.
I've since learned that>> The lower the -dBm number is, the stronger the signal <<
-65 dBm is a good signal
where
-101 dBm is considered signal lost.
I've read that the -dBm value has to do with only the Voice signal(bars) and not the Data(Internet)
& not really clear on what effect the -asu #(Active Set Updates)has on either Voice or Data.
=======================================================
Taken From: Signal Strength dBm?
the lower the number, the better.
So for example, a -50 dBm, has less signal fading form the nearest tower than a -90 dBm.
A 0 dBm, which is near impossible to achieve unless your climbing the tower, is 1 milliwatt of power. For every -3 dBm the power is being cut in half. So a -3 is a 1/2 a milliwatt, a -6 is a 1/4 of a milliwatt, a -9 is a 1/8 of a milliwatt, and so on....
A dBm in the 90's is the bare minimum to sustain decent call quality. In 100's and you dropping calls.
Our phones work on a 4 bar system, but I located Blackberry's scale so that you have an idea of the dBm to bars ratios.
1 bar ~ -102 to -120 dBm
2 Bars ~ -93 to -101 dBm
3 Bars ~ -87 to -92 dBm
4 Bars ~ -78 to -86 dBm
5 Bars ~ -40 to -77 dBm
=======================================================
Taken from http://cellphoneforums.net/t-mobile/t195696-what-signal-strenght-asu.html
"In a 3G network your cell phone tries to open three channels to three radios so they can locate you and hand you off properly.
Those three channels make up you ACTIVE SET.
ASU is ACTIVE SET UPDATES or the rate at which your phone is able to update its location to the towers/radios."
=========================================================

still trying to figure out why 3g is getting "Suspended" while on the phone.
(menu/settings/about phone/status... scroll down to Mobile Network State)
2 weeks ago I could be on the Phone and use the Internet at the same time.

Reactions: DarkFalcon
Upvote 0
Sorry i'm really new too this stuff but...

I downloaded QPST and i have my phone connected to my computer but it doesn't show up

one of the instructions say "opened Device Manager and expanded the Ports icon" where is the Device Manager??

I'm so lost i really want to do this to my phone but i don't get any of this tech talk, can someone simplify it down, please?

RockHaard,
(in windows XP)
1st make sure you have the proper drivers for your phone installed on your computer, so it can be seen.
you can get Samsung Admire SCH-R720 drivers here:
Samsung

(& click on Software in blue)

Then:
Go to Start
Right Click Computer go to Properties
Hardware Tab
Device Manager

Upvote 0
I apologize, I did not read your post thoroughly. I have no idea what a CIM number is either! :)

Ok, to get your COM Port Number I will walk you through it. I will assume you are on Win 7 but this will work on Win XP too.

Win 7:
1. Set your Admire to Diagnostic Mode by going into Settings >> Applications >> Development >> USB Debugging on your phone.
2. Install the USB Drivers from Samsung and ensure your phone is plugged in and fully detected by your PC before continuing. Samsung
3. Click Start >> Right Click Computer >> Click Properties (On XP, right click on My Computer >> Click Properties)
4. Click Device Manager
4. Scroll Down until you see Ports or Communication Ports (COM and LPT).
5. Expand the list by clicking the + and find the listing for your Samsung Phone. This is named various things, but for me it mentioned Samsung on Windows 7.
6. Look on the right side of the list for the COM port list like this (COM4).

This is the COM port you use in QPST.

:eek: Sorry DarkFalcon,
(Didnt see this post you made)
I didnt mean to double your instructions!:D
;)

Upvote 0
how do i add a port i figured out my phone is COM 36 i go to Add New Port under the Ports tab of QPST and i enter what the name is on device manager and the com number under Port and i get ERROR enabiling COM 36 this poret may be univalible or busy what now?
Double check again to be sure it is COM36 and not COM3. Normally, it will be a single digit COM port but not always.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones