1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 3G, Philadelphia area

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ethood1999, Dec 11, 2011.

1. ethood1999

ethood1999 Newbie
    None

I just got my Samsung Admire, and it's running on PRL version 3018. I have no idea about what means, rooting or anything - it's my first smartphone and I'm an "Android n00b".

I live in the Philadelphia area, and I was wondering if 3G was served in this area, and I was wondering what PRL version I need to get 3G. Also, what steps would I go about to update my PRL version.

I see many threads around but none of them is like a go-to guide and for people with no experience, so sorry if some of the questions I asked could be answered in a thread, I simply can't go through all these different threads and have to learn things.

Advertisement

2. FiredragonNY

FiredragonNY Newbie
    None

Nov 24, 2011
    NY,NY
    The latest PRL is version 3026. You can dial *228 then press 5 on your phone. The Samsung Admire is a 3G capable phone. As for 3G its around Phi its around several selected areas. With the latest PRL3026 your phone will recognize if its in a 3G service area with a 3G icon on the phone. Notable areas that have 3G MetroPCS areas are NYC,Florida,parts of CT, LA as reported by users on howard forums, and android forums. Metro was original plan was to skip 3G and go to 4G but high demand with smart phones in several high traffic areas push the company to cover 20% of network with 3G on there towers so 3G coverage is spotty. Maybe there's some around PA.

3. ramomcferno

ramomcferno Lurker
    None

Dec 20, 2011
    I am in the same position as the OP. I was thinking about rooting the phone to try to increase signal strength because all I get in South Jersey is 1X. But if that is all that is available regardless of other techniques I will just wait it out then switch over to Boost Mobile and its 3G Samsung Prevail. I "upgraded" to the Admire from the Ascend and although it runs faster I seem to get even weaker service. I checked my PRL thanks to the advice on this forum and I am at 3026. ANY help/advice is appreciated. Thanks.