• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G Reception Differences

emcd4

Lurker
Aug 6, 2010
My wife and I recently purchased 2 Droid X's. My phone has no 3G reception in our house while my wife's has full 3G bars at our house. Speed Test shows a 10:1 difference.

When going to a different location such as at a certain restaurant, I have full 3G reception on my phone but my wife's phone only has 2 bars for 3G.

What would be the technical explanation for this phenomenon?

Do a *22899 on both phones and retest to see what happens.

Edit: And don't worry about the bars. Lots of different factors for one phone receiving a stronger signal than the other (placement, orientation, how you hold it, cases, manufacturing differences), although you shouldn't see that much of a difference. As long as both of you can make a voice call you should be fine.

If one phone consistently has poorer voice & data performance, then there's probably more to be concerned about.

Upvote 0
same deal here with our 2 phones. Ive brought this to the attention of VZ and have another phone on the way. Mine consistently hunts for signal or data while hers is 3G all the time. put them next to each other and it stays that way. Ive done the *228 thing and saw no phone signal difference. Its said to improve roaming. what does the extra 99 on the code do?

Upvote 0
My wife and I recently purchased 2 Droid X's. My phone has no 3G reception in our house while my wife's has full 3G bars at our house. Speed Test shows a 10:1 difference.

When going to a different location such as at a certain restaurant, I have full 3G reception on my phone but my wife's phone only has 2 bars for 3G.

What would be the technical explanation for this phenomenon?

same deal here with our 2 phones. Ive brought this to the attention of VZ and have another phone on the way. Mine consistently hunts for signal or data while hers is 3G all the time. put them next to each other and it stays that way. Ive done the *228 thing and saw no phone signal difference. Its said to improve roaming. what does the extra 99 on the code do?

What PRL's and price plans do all of your phones have? PRL's can make a huge difference if your in former Alltel market where network integrations haven't been completed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones