• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G signal issue?

I know theres much discussion about the LTE signal issues. But has anybody experienced any 3G signal problems? Just got back from a holiday dinner with the family in central NJ. NEVER had a problem getting 3G with my OG Droid, but with my Nexus I could 'barely' get 1 bar of 3G. Santa tracker app failed because of no connection so the kids lost track of Santa. Reboot and nothing changed. Pulled out my wife's VZ iPhone 4S and it was pulling 4 of 5 3G bars. Frustrating... What gives?

I had the same issue in New Jersey two nights ago. I had voice but no data when my daughters Droid 3 had voice and data.

About 12 hours later 3G came back. I have concluded that the problem was not with the phone but that Verizon was making area network adjustments that only affected 4G phones.

Upvote 0
I haven't had any issues with 3g on mine. Did you look under the dbm to see what it read? Because the nexus shows the bars based off of actual signal strength whereas the iphone has a sort of inflated showing of bars. Did you have any other issues anywhere else with the nexus and 3g data?

No, didn't check the dbm, but it was definately the correct signal strength because the phone lost data connection over and over. The iPhone seemed to keep a strong data connection even when I couldn't get any. Hopefully its what someone else posted about 4G network maintenance and next time I'm at the same location I'll have a stronger data connection. Thanks!

Upvote 0
No, didn't check the dbm, but it was definately the correct signal strength because the phone lost data connection over and over. The iPhone seemed to keep a strong data connection even when I couldn't get any. Hopefully its what someone else posted about 4G network maintenance and next time I'm at the same location I'll have a stronger data connection. Thanks!

For some reason when verizon is doing work on their network or lte goes down many have issues with 3g also, but 3g phones do not have any issues. Hopefully verizon can get this worked out and fixed so it does not kill all data if they have an network 4g outage.

Upvote 0
I know theres much discussion about the LTE signal issues. But has anybody experienced any 3G signal problems? Just got back from a holiday dinner with the family in central NJ. NEVER had a problem getting 3G with my OG Droid, but with my Nexus I could 'barely' get 1 bar of 3G. Santa tracker app failed because of no connection so the kids lost track of Santa. Reboot and nothing changed. Pulled out my wife's VZ iPhone 4S and it was pulling 4 of 5 3G bars. Frustrating... What gives?

I'm having huge 3G issues. I'm out on the cape right now (Cape Cod Mass) and getting zero data connection. I just pulled out my laptop with a VZW USB aircard and full EV-RevA bars as well as 1X bars, but my Gnex is not able to connect at all.

Not sure what's going on there. Have to give ole VZW a call.

Upvote 0
At dinner with wife who has iPhone. I had no data and in fact tried to even call my home, no texting would go through either. Wife's phone could do it all. Can anyone tell me if this is the Nexus or network? Seems as though the fact I could'nt call had to be phone. I rebooted and had call/text function and one bar with slow response. ? Previously my droid x could do all in same restaurant. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
The Gnex might just have weak radio design and the current network issues are making some assume it will get better.

There are two possible issues:

1. VZW network issues: Your device may show strong bar and dBm, but no data and is a random event.

2. Gnex reception: The device shows weak dBm signal and goes to 1x or 3g, where other devices get 3g and 4g and can also lose data. This is area specific and not a random event.

I respectfully suggest it is important to differentiate these two issues, since some may get a false sense of security and assume it is a network issue, when it may be a device issue that can not be fixed- IF the Gnex simply has weak radio design.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones