• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3g speed expectations? It seems terribly slow

That's about what I get. There are some better speed threads around... mainly in the root section. Look them up and you might find something that suits your needs. But please be aware that most of these speed solutions are YMMV.

So far Im chalking it up to Boost and might just try another service but its new and tbh I lived without internet on my phone for a very long time and my reason for dropping Verizon was to save money not have internet svc.

Upvote 0
Wow, that is kinda slow. I usually get anywhere from 850 to 1600 depending on the time of day.

screenshot-1339649733379.png

Upvote 0
Wow, that is kinda slow. I usually get anywhere from 850 to 1600 depending on the time of day.

screenshot-1339649733379.png
Now why would you go and post something like this? You know very well that what you get may not even be close to what someone else is able to get.

It all depends on where you have the service, the availability of towers, how many people are on those towers, the direction the wind is blowing, how warm it is outside, if someone is smoking a cigarette next to the tower, how many cars are parked on the street, if there are ants outside your place crawling on the sidewalk, how many of those ants you have burned with a magnifying glass, if you've stepped on any anthills lately... the list goes on and on.

Upvote 0
I never got these speeds on Sprint and it is about the same on Boost. If you live in a good coverage area, your speeds will be good, if not, your speeds will suck. I did some tweaks on my EVO/Sprint and they improved a little bit but as 2011 ended and 2012 started, those speeds dipped. I'll be flashing the EVO to boost soon but my Prevail is being used in the meantime and so far, it's handled itself well.

Upvote 0
I hate you guys. If im lucky I get double digits. thank god for wifi.

lol
Yeah I'm right there with you. The only time I seem to get "ok" 3g speeds is late at night when I'm heading to bed or early in the morning when I don't have time to use it anyway.

Oh well, I've been contemplating moving away from Boost and giving Straight Talk a shot since I've heard quite a lot of good things about their service.

Upvote 0
Now why would you go and post something like this? You know very well that what you get may not even be close to what someone else is able to get.

It all depends on where you have the service, the availability of towers, how many people are on those towers, the direction the wind is blowing, how warm it is outside, if someone is smoking a cigarette next to the tower, how many cars are parked on the street, if there are ants outside your place crawling on the sidewalk, how many of those ants you have burned with a magnifying glass, if you've stepped on any anthills lately... the list goes on and on.

LOL. I posted it because it's true. Anything under 200 kbps IS slow. I base this on a comparison of users post I've read on this forum over the past year. Also, I don't know about the availability of the towers either. There is only 1 tower in my area and I still get good speeds. It may be that the towers in his area have not been upgraded yet. Who knows, there are many variables that could cause the slower speeds. If I were him I would try some different prl's and a few speed tweaks.:D

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm right there with you. The only time I seem to get "ok" 3g speeds is late at night when I'm heading to bed or early in the morning when I don't have time to use it anyway.

Oh well, I've been contemplating moving away from Boost and giving Straight Talk a shot since I've heard quite a lot of good things about their service.

Yeah me too actually. Their old regular phones had great service, but most of the androids are on the same sprint network (prl 61008). i think the zte merit and the samsung proclaim are on verizon though.

Upvote 0
Yeah me too actually. Their old regular phones had great service, but most of the androids are on the same sprint network (prl 61008). i think the zte merit and the samsung proclaim are on verizon though.
I would actually use their "bring your own device service". They have to be GSM and AT&T or T-Mobile compatible, so there is a large variety of phones you could bring over. I personally really like Palm devices so I think I'm going to give their last phone, the HP Pre 3, a try. Welcome | Straight Talk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones