1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips 3G Surfing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by batfinkgtr, Oct 25, 2011.

1. batfinkgtr

batfinkgtr Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi,

Got my tab 10.1 at the weekend, just the 3G version as I didn't want a contract for it. However, is it possible to connect a USB mobile internet dongle?? Can the USB connection kit have this attached to it instead.

I have mobile internet with a dongle as part of my business mobile contract, so was sort of hoping it would work. No biggie if not, perhaps I could use my mobile phone as the web access point(An HTC Desire HD)

Be useful to hear of others views on this.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    I guess you meant WiFi version, but I'm not sure if it'll work or not. It might, but 3G dongles are usually designed for laptops/netbooks with Windows installed. I would try before buying.
    That's why I opted for the 3G version. I had the ASUS Transformer but using the hotspot on my phone really killed the phone's battery. The 3G Tab is much better on the battery and I have a connection all the time, so it's always up to date and ready to use. If you have an AC or DC plug available to keep your phone charged, it might not be an issue for you.

I also bought an inexpensive TPU gel case (just like a gel case for phones) to protect it from scatches, something the Transformer didn't have available, which makes it easier to hold too. My tablet is in and out of my hands a lot so a quick and easy access case along with a constant internet connection was essential for me.

3. rumbataz

rumbataz Guest
    None
    I agree with the above. With the dongle you might have an issue with drivers. Much better to get the 3G version from the outset if you can.

4. batfinkgtr

batfinkgtr Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Ok thanks for the info. Yeah, I meant I got the wi-fi version. Couldnt get the 3G version without signing up to a data account, and didn't fancy that. But as I have a data account with my phone, I thought maybe that was an option.

Like I said, its no biggie, and I will have wi-fi available most of the time.

Cheers.