• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3g switching to 1x

shred1

Jul 4, 2010
Usually my verizon 3g/ cell connection is very good at my home and work.Last night I noticed all I could get was the 1x.Today at work the same thing 3g maybe for a minute or so then it switched to 1x and browsing is very slow and streaming on pandora won't work.

I think it is a problem on Verizons end.Any one else having similar issues lately?

I don't think its your phone. Mine will do that occasionally. In fact, mine did this very thing last night too. I only lost it for a few minutes though. I only noticed it because I was trying to update an app at the very moment it went down. I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with Verizon's network. Back in December (and last March too), their entire 3G network went down across the whole country. It made Engadget:
Verizon 3G network goes down nationwide, everybody panic! (update: back up for some) -- Engadget

Upvote 0
It's called scaling back signal strength in preparation for the onslaught of iphone fanboys. That's how I feel anyways. I think cell providers have the ability to boost certain areas for the country and decrease others based on total usage of that specific area. I really think they look at that and adjust according. I could be completely off on this but I have a feeling it is possible. MO anyways-

Upvote 0
It's called scaling back signal strength in preparation for the onslaught of iphone fanboys. That's how I feel anyways. I think cell providers have the ability to boost certain areas for the country and decrease others based on total usage of that specific area. I really think they look at that and adjust according. I could be completely off on this but I have a feeling it is possible. MO anyways-

Look what I just found.

Verizon quietly begins throttling data as iPhone launch looms

This need to be put back on the front page!

Upvote 0
For what it's worth Verizon issued 2 new PRL's on Jan 28th. I have 2 Inc's here mine and my wifes. I've always had 3G working since owning this phone April 2010.

I updated my PRL yesterday and noticed my 3G changed to 1X and stayed there yesterday and today. Looked at my wifes Inc and her 3G was fine. Looked at our PRL's and hers was 52078 (from Nov 6 2010) and mine was 52219 (from Jan 28 2011).

Like like the GOOB I am I updated hers and sure enough her 3G was gone....only had 1X :eek: So she said why the heck did you do that? Well I started a ticket with Veriz we'll see what is to come. I was about to downgrade my PRL (through the ##778 method), but have yet to find a down-loadable copy of a recent PRL from VZW.

This may or may not be what you are experiencing just thought I'd share

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones