1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 3G tethering/hotspot on a 4G device?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dhworph, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    So I finally upgraded after 17 months of the BB Storm -- with oem 148 OS nonetheless! -- (was up for upgrade since March!). So far I really love the Galaxy Nexus and the 4G speeds. Of course I am aware of many of the issues, hopefully none enough to warrant a return. Mine is pretty nice so far, but I can't wait to try a custom kernel/rom...

I was luckily grandfathered in with unlimited data + I added on unlimited mobile hotspot.

But I can't get mobile hotspot or usb tethering to work in cdma only mode :thinking:

Is this a feature of Verizon's plan or maybe a GNex issue (software or hardware?). Is it really only 4G mobile hotspot, meaning you don't get it on 3G? This might be a deal breaker for me b/c I need tethering when on the road in 3G areas...

Any ideas? I wrote VZW an email, so will post their reply when I get it. They have been good about responding in the past.

Advertisement

2. jbdan

jbdan Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    atl ga usa
    Good question idk. I'll be interested to hear how they respond though. Have you tried just calling tech support and asking them?

3. Skydogg320

Skydogg320 Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    I have my phone set to cdma only (no 4g here) and the mobile hotspot worked fine for me yesterday. What are your symptoms? Also, I don't think it's really unlimited, unless you're in on some special deal. 2gb I think is still the limit.

4. pgrommesh

pgrommesh Member
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    The hotspot that i pay for would not work for me at about 1 est, my phone was set to 3g only. Ironically it worked fine on my wifes og droid which i dont pay for the feature.

5. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    Just got off the phone with a vzw tech. He suggested swapping the phone at the store for another new one. Which I really hate to get into that phone swapping cycle...

I just unlocked the phone, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.... But I got mobile hotspot working on 3G now. I also got USB Tethering to work, at least on ubuntu Lucid (I still can't get he WinXP MTP drivers working). Thank God for dual boot! :D

More likely the radio issues where switching form 3G to 4G and vice versa is problematic. I might have not given it enough time before. It seems that I have to wait 30s-1min when changing data/network settings on the device for the connection to 'settle'.

Unlimited data:
    My data and tethering/hotspot plan is actually unlimited (vzw has confirmed this, it's little known, and for good reason). I have read about others in the same position, with 30-100+ GB in a few days. Some have been 'optimized' i.e. throttled for such excessive use. I don't see myself doing more than 1GB a day really, I'd probably be fine with the 12GB plan if I had to take a cap. It seems tethering and mobile data no longer have different "caps" (I used to have unlimited mobile plus 5GB tethering on my BB). If you buy a data plan with mobile hotspot, say 7GB, then you can use 1GB for mobile and 6GB hotspot or 7GB mobile and 1GB hotspot. At least, this is what VZW has told me (I wrote email and they called back). However, I was grandfathered in unlimited and pay the $30 hotspot add-on (which is added on to my unlimited data).

However... you never know... I am definitely scared about getting hit by verizon with a bunch of charges!!! But it all seems to be working!

Tags: