• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G throttling anyone?

cbreze

Android Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2011
Central Oregon
Was wondering if anybody see is consistantly being throttled. I have no 4g anywhere near me and have noticed throttling the past several days. Late at nite it's alot better, but I just did a speed check and am seeing .18mbps up and .22 down, ping at 205. Pretty crappy speeds. I always go over my 2gb threshold at about 10days into the billing cycle. Pretty bad. Anyone else? They don't throttle 4g yet right? Wish it was in my area.

Was wondering if anybody see is consistantly being throttled. I have no 4g anywhere near me and have noticed throttling the past several days. Late at nite it's alot better, but I just did a speed check and am seeing 18mbps up and 22 down, ping at 205. Pretty crappy speeds. I always go over my 2gb threshold at about 10days into the billing cycle. Pretty bad. Anyone else? They don't throttle 4g yet right? Wish it was in my area.
According to the contract you signed, they only throttle the top 5% of users (of course there are enough "Verizon can do whatever the hell they want" loopholes for them to drive a bus through). And 6gbs a month probably doesn't put you up there.

And do you have any evidence that you're being Throttled and are not just getting a terrible connection? If you call Verizon, they can tell you if you're being throttled or not (they call it "Network Optimization").

They actually have started throttling 4G, but again they're only tethering 1 out of every 20 user.

Upvote 0
Yes, I was being throttled on 3G. I have the unlimited plan, and throttling is based on being in the top 5%. What verizon doesn't tell you, it's not based on national top 5%, but local area. So with my iPhone, when i would hit 2GB, I would get throttled back for the rest of that month and the next month too. my speeds, where poor to begin with, around 1 Mbs download, and when I hit that 2GB, it would drop to 200 to 400 kbs and stay that way through the next month. Then the speeds would increase again, a lo and behold when I hit that 2GB, it would be throttled back again. Kind of made me mad that one could switch to the 4GB plan for $30, and get unthrottled speed, but when on unlimited for the same price, you weren't even allowed 4 GB before being throttled. BS. So i switched to a 4G phone, kept my unlimited plan and now will try to jack up my data downloads to as high as I can get. I'm shooting for at least 15 GB.

Upvote 0
LOL...yall don't know what a heavy user is....I'm at 15GB (actually 14.995, but close enough) and its only the middle of the month...having said that, I'm on the 22GB plan so I'm gonna have to slow it down a bit for a week or so.

2GB's...that "might" last me 2 days (slow days)

EDIT: Up until now...I did not think of myself as a heavy user...but I'm starting to think maybe I am.

Upvote 0
According to the contract you signed, they only throttle the top 5% of users (of course there are enough "Verizon can do whatever the hell they want" loopholes for them to drive a bus through). And 6gbs a month probably doesn't put you up there.

And do you have any evidence that you're being Throttled and are not just getting a terrible connection? If you call Verizon, they can tell you if you're being throttled or not (they call it "Network Optimization").

My only evidence isn't very scientific. It just happens when i go over 2GB during my billing cycle. It seems to be only during peak times then it's ok, which is what their new TOS regarding "network optimization" states pretty plainly. What gripes me is 2GB is now considered by them to be "heavy usage" and that's a plain load of BS. What they really want is to put everybody on a tiered plan to charge the crap outta them. I have talked to them about it and that is their solution. I can "upgrade". By that they mean get a higher tier plan for more $$$. Sounds more like a downgrade to me as I've been unlimited ever since I started with them. I have a 4G device aka razr maxx, so not much else I can do, but bite the throttled bullet and get over it.

LOL...yall don't know what a heavy user is....I'm at 15GB (actually 14.995, but close enough) and its only the middle of the month...having said that, I'm on the 22GB plan so I'm gonna have to slow it down a bit for a week or so.

2GB's...that "might" last me 2 days (slow days)

EDIT: Up until now...I did not think of myself as a heavy user...but I'm starting to think maybe I am.
LOL! @Ridgerunner, now that's heavy, although others I see around have used even more. What do they expect tho? We pay top dollar for these awesome, do anything phones and they ration our data unless we pay big bucks.
BTW, 22GB? How much does that run you?

I'm on the 4 GB plan and so far my heaviest month was just under 1 GB lol.

Thank god for wireless.
I should start paying more attention to when I'm in a wireless area. I usually just fire up the data bank on the maxx and go with it. Even 3G is usually quicker than a lot of the free wifi around.
When 4G ever gets HERE, it'll be like a brand new super charged device. I've never been able to use 4G on my maxx yet. AFAIK, the closest would be Portland, about 3 hours down the road. This year for Central Oregon, yeah right. Make me a believer big "V".

Upvote 0
Even with legit *ahem!* tethering?

If you are paying for a tethering plan, then there should be no problems. If you are not, and they suspect you are, you will get a letter from them threatening to "ahem" release you from your contract. I wonder if a person racks up a lot of data on 4G and then goes into a 3G area, if their data will be throttled back automatically while using 3G?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones