• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G to 4G data usage increase with same usage?

I'm currently a HTC Incredible user (3G) but looking to upgrade soon. For those of you that have switched from 3G to 4G, was there much of an increase in data usage, assuming you maintained the same usage habits? I know since it's faster you tend to browse more and that increases your data usage, but what if you maintained the same amount of phone use (just did it faster)? Is the data usage increase just a funcion of more downloading because it's faster or is the content bigger? I use email, texting, and webpage browsing primarily. About 40 minutes a day is streaming radio while driving and about 20 minutes a day for video (youtube or netflix). I have the unlimited plan now but I'm still ususally between 1 and 1.5 GB per month. Can I expect to regularly exceed the 2GB limit when I switch? Does Verizon still have the 4GB for $30 offer anymore?

They did not let me keep my unlimited (3g) when I wen to the 4g.

Did you keep the same plan? Changing phones wont alter your plan... but if you changed plans when you changed phones, that might account for it.

When I switched from my DInc to the Rezound, I did it over the phone with VZW rep... I'm sure she got tired of me saying "I want to make sure I am preserving my unlimited data account" 20 times, but it worked lol.

I don't live in a 4G area :mad: ... but I hear my town will be getting it two months after Hell freezes over.

Upvote 0
I have the unlimited plan now but I'm still ususally between 1 and 1.5 GB per month. Can I expect to regularly exceed the 2GB limit when I switch? Does Verizon still have the 4GB for $30 offer anymore?

Whoa, whoa, whoa... You have the unlimited plan. Who cares how much data you use? It doesn't matter.

For the record, my data usage between my original Droid and my Rezound is about the same. My usage habits have not changed much at all.

They did not let me keep my unlimited (3g) when I wen to the 4g.

WHAT??? Every time I call them to make ANY change to my plan I DEMAND that they absolutely ensure that I continue to have unlimited data. I would not have upgraded if they pulled my unlimited data plan.

If they tried to pull a slimey stunt like that, I would have made it CLEAR to those a-holes at Verizon that I would instead be switching to Sprint and their unlimited plan.

Get your unlimited plan BACK. NOW!

As a side note, I needed to add another line to my family plan. Verizon refused to give me unlimited data on this additional line so I told them I was singing up for a new account with Sprint instead - and I did.

I will NOT be beholden to these a-holes and their metered data plans when other unlimited alternative plans exist. The fact that they are now metering data is nothing more than a testament to how badly these guys price-fix, lock in, nickle and dime, gouge their customers for overages to screw everyone.

Upvote 0
Did you keep the same plan? Changing phones wont alter your plan... but if you changed plans when you changed phones, that might account for it.

When I switched from my DInc to the Rezound, I did it over the phone with VZW rep... I'm sure she got tired of me saying "I want to make sure I am preserving my unlimited data account" 20 times, but it worked lol.

I don't live in a 4G area :mad: ... but I hear my town will be getting it two months after Hell freezes over.

WHen I switched I was told I could not keep my unlimited even though everything else was the same. They put me on 4GB per month at $30 and two reps told me my price would be the same. I had called a second time to verify the info the first rep told me before making the purchase. But once I got my first full bill, my cost had increased $20.

So I had to contact customer service and they took care of me. I was perfectly fine with the 4GB plan(I only use around 2GB a month. Even listening to Pandora a few hours each day on High quality doesn't use alot) but they said to get me back to the same price as before they had to put me back on unlimited. I didn't care whether I was on unlimited or the 4GB plan as long as my costs were the same as before like I was told it would be. I was certainly pleased with their quick response. Now if FiOS could just get their customer service act together like Verizon wireless is.

Upvote 0
WHen I switched I was told I could not keep my unlimited even though everything else was the same. They put me on 4GB per month at $30 and two reps told me my price would be the same. I had called a second time to verify the info the first rep told me before making the purchase. But once I got my first full bill, my cost had increased $20.

So I had to contact customer service and they took care of me. I was perfectly fine with the 4GB plan(I only use around 2GB a month. Even listening to Pandora a few hours each day on High quality doesn't use alot) but they said to get me back to the same price as before they had to put me back on unlimited. I didn't care whether I was on unlimited or the 4GB plan as long as my costs were the same as before like I was told it would be. I was certainly pleased with their quick response. Now if FiOS could just get their customer service act together like Verizon wireless is.

You might not care now but who knows what you will be using in a month/year etc, I only use like 2gb a month aswell then sometimes I download a 4gb movie in a single file. Files are only getting bigger soon we will have 1gb apps on our phones and the people without unlimited will be paying $150 a month just for their data.

Upvote 0

You might not care now but who knows what you will be using in a month/year etc, I only use like 2gb a month aswell then sometimes I download a 4gb movie in a single file when no wifi is available. Files are only getting bigger soon we will have 1gb apps on our phones and the people without unlimited will be paying $150 a month just for their data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones