• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G VS. Wi-Fi

rdalev

Android Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2009
Fayette, Ga.
Still learning about my phone and wanted to know if when I turn my Eris Wi-Fi on and connect to my home network does the Wi-Fi connection automatically take preference over 3G, as far as accessing the internet and if it does, does that mean that I'm "NOT" at risk of using my 5GB download maximum, since I'm not connecting thru 3G ?:thinking:

Thanks in advance and hope this helps other users !

Wifi drains battery really fast when it's searching for a connection. Once it has a connection the battery drain is very little.

My phone is out of range of wifi for only about an hour a day and I don't even bother turning off wifi. I just allow it to search during that time and I really don't see much battery hit. I have set my WIFI to never sleep. It's set to turn off when the screen goes off by default. In that case the phone then switches over to 3G when the screen is off. I'd recommend going into your settings and change the wifi sleep settings. When the wifi is not searching it uses a lot less power then the 3g. I went from around 7 hours of battery to well over 24 hours of battery with just this one change.

Click: settings > wireless controls > wifi settings
Then Click: menu > click advanced >
Then Click: wifi sleep policy > click never

If you are away from wifi for a while though I would recommend turning it off so it's not searching. If I go on long trips I always toggle wifi off. I also never turn off my GPS or Mobile network. When wifi is running the 3G (mobile network) goes to sleep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones